I can't believe I went to uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I never thought I'd ever get into uni because I was never clever at school, I left with a b and c in subjects that don't matter the rest were D's and E's. At college I miraculously started getting good grades on a level 2 BTEC diploma, I got a merit overall then progressed on an extended level 3 BTEC diploma equivalent to 3-a levels but got a triple merit overall. I applied for uni but didn't get in with those grades and so I decided to stay on at college and did a different subject level 2 BTEC diploma. I got even better grades for this and finished with a distinction* the highest grade. I went on to do the extended level 3 diploma again for this and eventually got into uni with a DDM. (Was meant to be DDD but my certificates got messed up because of a tutor who gave the exam board the wrong grades but that is another story). At uni I did a completely different subject to anything I studied at college. I became dumb again and was mostly getting 3rds but I continued on and completed the course. I graduated with a 3rd. I went on to do a masters last year and graduated recently with a Merit 😊 which I can't believe. I really thought I was going to get a pass after getting a 3rd on my BA but I was determined to get higher than a pass and I prevailed. I really can't believe it, I know it's not the highest grade but I now have an achievement I can be proud of. I had no support at all from family, I told them I wanted to go uni one day. My mum said "you're too dumb to go uni, uni is for clever people"
When I got into uni she was so shocked and said nothing, all my family was shocked and never said well done or we're proud, I am the first person in my family to go to uni. My sibling went but quit after a few months so I'm the only one with a uni education. At one point my mum was trying to get me to quit uni and get a job instead but I didn't listen because she's never been supportive of my education. When I told her I got a b in my GCSE she was like 'you could have done better. Always you could have done better. I continued on with uni and did what she thought I never would. I'm proud of myself, I don't care if anyone else isn't anymore. I haven't told anyone my uni grades, they don't need to know. It was my achievement, I'm proud and glad I went even though my uni journey was a bad start. The ending was great!

Moral of the story, never give up, if you want something go get it. Don't listen to others, live your life.
Zeeyo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
congrats
what uni
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Zeeyo)
congrats
what uni
BCU
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
BCU
and thanks 😊
Ne en mia nomo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never thought I'd ever get into uni because I was never clever at school, I left with a b and c in subjects that don't matter the rest were D's and E's. At college I miraculously started getting good grades on a level 2 BTEC diploma, I got a merit overall then progressed on an extended level 3 BTEC diploma equivalent to 3-a levels but got a triple merit overall. I applied for uni but didn't get in with those grades and so I decided to stay on at college and did a different subject level 2 BTEC diploma. I got even better grades for this and finished with a distinction* the highest grade. I went on to do the extended level 3 diploma again for this and eventually got into uni with a DDM. (Was meant to be DDD but my certificates got messed up because of a tutor who gave the exam board the wrong grades but that is another story). At uni I did a completely different subject to anything I studied at college. I became dumb again and was mostly getting 3rds but I continued on and completed the course. I graduated with a 3rd. I went on to do a masters last year and graduated recently with a Merit 😊 which I can't believe. I really thought I was going to get a pass after getting a 3rd on my BA but I was determined to get higher than a pass and I prevailed. I really can't believe it, I know it's not the highest grade but I now have an achievement I can be proud of. I had no support at all from family, I told them I wanted to go uni one day. My mum said "you're too dumb to go uni, uni is for clever people"
When I got into uni she was so shocked and said nothing, all my family was shocked and never said well done or we're proud, I am the first person in my family to go to uni. My sibling went but quit after a few months so I'm the only one with a uni education. At one point my mum was trying to get me to quit uni and get a job instead but I didn't listen because she's never been supportive of my education. When I told her I got a b in my GCSE she was like 'you could have done better. Always you could have done better. I continued on with uni and did what she thought I never would. I'm proud of myself, I don't care if anyone else isn't anymore. I haven't told anyone my uni grades, they don't need to know. It was my achievement, I'm proud and glad I went even though my uni journey was a bad start. The ending was great!

Moral of the story, never give up, if you want something go get it. Don't listen to others, live your life.
You should start believing in yourself, you're clearly more than capable to achieve great things.

I'm sorry about your mum, it's really demoralising when your closest family don't support you. My mother laughed in my face when I told her I got into uni - she thought I was joking.

Can I ask how you could get into the masters with a 3rd, they usually accept 2:2 and above.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ne en mia nomo)
You should start believing in yourself, you're clearly more than capable to achieve great things.

I'm sorry about your mum, it's really demoralising when your closest family don't support you. My mother laughed in my face when I told her I got into uni - she thought I was joking.

Can I ask how you could get into the masters with a 3rd, they usually accept 2:2 and above.
Thanks. Sorry about your mum too. I studied design. Yeah they did give me a conditional offer that I could do the masters if I got a 2:2 on my BA but I obviously didn't get a 2:2. In design things are different, if your portfolio is good or they like something about your work then you can get into a masters, it's the same for a job. In design/art employers won't ask about grades, they will just look at your portfolio. I don't know why they let me do the masters, they didn't comment on the digital portfolio I submitted with my application, they just gave me an offer after I showed them my BA certificate/transcript and I accepted. I don't know what it's like for other subjects, they might accept thirds or they might not, it will probably depend on the subject, the uni and their requirements.
emmadreamer03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

wow so inspiring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (48)
17.58%
No one else does (86)
31.5%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.26%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (92)
33.7%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.2%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.2%

Watched Threads