Got rejected from Cambridge Economics. Any chance at LSE/UCL?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied to cambridge, lse, ucl, warwick and st andrews for econ, but was rejected by Cambridge pre-interview. my stats met the entry requirements.. i am predicted A*A*A*A (A for further math) and have already achieved an A* for an EPQ. my GCSEs are 99999998AA. i know that grades aren’t the determining factor for top universities, but the fact I was rejected by Cambridge makes me wonder if my A for further maths was my weak point. And if it was, do I stand a chance at universities like lse/ucl given that mostly everyone who applied to cambridge also applied to these two universities?
the rejection from cambridge really has not hit me that hard yet, though i can’t tell if that’s because i knew that i didn’t really have a solid chance after the ECAA went so south OR if it’s because since young ive always wanted to go to lse as i loved the idea of studying in the city and where I’m from, lse has always been spoken about so affectionately when it comes to econ/finance majors. therefore im so so worried that i may not stand a decent chance at getting into lse/ucl as i wasn’t good enough for cambridge
i already have an offer from warwick, so my ps can’t have been that awful (i hope) though i made it more macroeconomicsy. as i based it too strongly off macro (one section of econ), would lse/ucl look down on it?
2021.b3by
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I applied to cambridge, lse, ucl, warwick and st andrews for econ, but was rejected by Cambridge pre-interview. my stats met the entry requirements.. i am predicted A*A*A*A (A for further math) and have already achieved an A* for an EPQ. my GCSEs are 99999998AA. i know that grades aren’t the determining factor for top universities, but the fact I was rejected by Cambridge makes me wonder if my A for further maths was my weak point. And if it was, do I stand a chance at universities like lse/ucl given that mostly everyone who applied to cambridge also applied to these two universities?
the rejection from cambridge really has not hit me that hard yet, though i can’t tell if that’s because i knew that i didn’t really have a solid chance after the ECAA went so south OR if it’s because since young ive always wanted to go to lse as i loved the idea of studying in the city and where I’m from, lse has always been spoken about so affectionately when it comes to econ/finance majors. therefore im so so worried that i may not stand a decent chance at getting into lse/ucl as i wasn’t good enough for cambridge
i already have an offer from warwick, so my ps can’t have been that awful (i hope) though i made it more macroeconomicsy. as i based it too strongly off macro (one section of econ), would lse/ucl look down on it?
I would def think u still have a chance. A lot of times oxbridge compares u to other ppl in your school so it could be that or it could be ur admission test for Cambridge. But u fs have a chance ucl/lse never compare u w ur other classmates and ur grades r rlly good so I wuldn't worry too much. Esp if u got an offer from Warwick. I can't speak much about ur ps and it being more macro but I def think u have a chance
abdcdfg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. LSE Grad here. You have fantastic grades and I do believe that you stand a very good chance. In terms of the personal statement, start with a bang. Outlined why LSE, areas of Economics or particular courses that you are interested in, areas of your skillset that you hope to develop on the course, perhaps cite some interesting research that has come out of LSE from a particular Professor (this is what I did), as well as long term career goals. For the most part this is what I included in my personal statement. While I am sorry to hear that you were not accepted into Cambridge, you can always apply there for your postgraduate after LSE. I did not apply for Oxbridge, however I was fortunate to study at both LSE and Yale.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So it sounds like your ECAA not going well was the most likely reason for your Cambridge rejection?

That doesn't form any part of the LSE/UCL admissions process, and with your grades, you have as good a chance as anyone else to get an LSE/UCL offer.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by abdcdfg)
Hi. LSE Grad here. You have fantastic grades and I do believe that you stand a very good chance. In terms of the personal statement, start with a bang. Outlined why LSE, areas of Economics or particular courses that you are interested in, areas of your skillset that you hope to develop on the course, perhaps cite some interesting research that has come out of LSE from a particular Professor (this is what I did), as well as long term career goals. For the most part this is what I included in my personal statement. While I am sorry to hear that you were not accepted into Cambridge, you can always apply there for your postgraduate after LSE. I did not apply for Oxbridge, however I was fortunate to study at both LSE and Yale.
I’ve PMed you - hope that’s okay
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
So it sounds like your ECAA not going well was the most likely reason for your Cambridge rejection?

That doesn't form any part of the LSE/UCL admissions process, and with your grades, you have as good a chance as anyone else to get an LSE/UCL offer.
Thank you for your reply. And I’m guessing it was my ECAA - as it could’ve only either been that, or my PS. I’m seriously hoping it was my ECAA as I know how heavily LSE/UCL put a weighting on the PS.

Out of curiosity.. I was looking at statistics and it appears as if there are more internationals studying at LSE. Does that mean that an international applicant has a higher chance at getting in than a home one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (79)
18.29%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.7%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (162)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.01%

Watched Threads