what to study at a level to get into a degree in animation

Watch
ellietarrant
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
currently i am coming to the end of year 11 and i have to choose what to do at college. However, my goal is to study animation production at bournemouth university but im not sure what subjects or course will give me the best guidance.
There is this one course its an L3 diploma in creative media production and it features a bit of animation and sounds pretty good from the lecturers but looking at the showreels it looks like mainly making youtube type videos?? which is off putting

my second option is to fo graphic design a level and pair it with two other a levels (im thinking maths and fine art or media studies) and the work shown from those courses look more sophisticated but the college advised that the course was the best option. now im quite conflicted.
any help would be well appreciated.
Haywood1743
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ellietarrant)
currently i am coming to the end of year 11 and i have to choose what to do at college. However, my goal is to study animation production at bournemouth university but im not sure what subjects or course will give me the best guidance.
There is this one course its an L3 diploma in creative media production and it features a bit of animation and sounds pretty good from the lecturers but looking at the showreels it looks like mainly making youtube type videos?? which is off putting

my second option is to fo graphic design a level and pair it with two other a levels (im thinking maths and fine art or media studies) and the work shown from those courses look more sophisticated but the college advised that the course was the best option. now im quite conflicted.
The course page seems to be recommending a portfolio of Thorough sketchbook work indicating private study and an interest in animation
Research study portfolio of Course work
Life drawing portfolio and observational drawing
Storyboard ideas and sketchbooks of film visuals
DVD showreel, if possible, but not compulsory (no longer than 5 mins)

so I would recommend some traditional art subjects and to focus on building this portfolio however you also need the BBB-BBC (or equivalent) they require to get in so keep that in mind
Last edited by Haywood1743; 1 month ago
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you look at uni courses and see their a level requirements?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Check the unis website. Does it specify any particular courses/subjects?
ellietarrant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haywood1743)
The course page seems to be recommending a portfolio of Thorough sketchbook work indicating private study and an interest in animation
Research study portfolio of Course work
Life drawing portfolio and observational drawing
Storyboard ideas and sketchbooks of film visuals
DVD showreel, if possible, but not compulsory (no longer than 5 mins)

so I would recommend some traditional art subjects and to focus on building this portfolio however you also need the BBB-BBC (or equivalent) they require to get in so keep that in mind
hi thank you! i think i am going to go with the a levels and do private study in my own time and slowly build a portfolio.
ellietarrant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Check the unis website. Does it specify any particular courses/subjects?
hi yes they mention BBB in a levels or equivalents and a portfolio but i think im going to go with my gut and go for the a levels and build a portfolio
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi yes they mention BBB in a levels or equivalents and a portfolio but i think im going to go with my gut and go for the a levels and build a portfolio
Oh right. So you could technically go for either then.
If your gut says the a-levels and portfolio, then I'd go for that.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

BU doesn’t have an animation production degree. Their courses are both called computer animation (with no mention of production).

AUB has an animation production degree.

Despite their proximity the courses are quite different. It’s important to research the right university and apply to the one you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads