is a 5 year age gap too big?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im 16 and the guy i like is 21 (he´s a really close family friend, i see him everyday). when i turn 18, he will be 23. It will be legal for us to date and stuff of that sort. My question is, is that too old? he´s quiet immature for his age
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Is this a crush or does he have an interest in you
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the 21 year old was interested in a 16 year old that would be a bit of a problem, but not really the other way, especially when you're 18. 5 years isn't that bad
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is this a crush or does he have an interest in you
i like him!! he doesn´t hit on me or anything lol
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
i like him!! he doesn´t hit on me or anything lol
Well it depends, if you were to go out and your parents would be okay with it then that's fine. If they are not, and you're sneaking around with a 21 year old and avoiding your parents, he's a pedophile
baby.bear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it’s a little odd that a 21 year old would have interest in a 16 year old. once you’re 18 there would be no problem if you chose to pursue it.

please keep in mind that you’ll be in different stages of life and maturity though. he may want to settle down quicker as he’s older, but you may want to spend time partying etc.

there’s a lot to think about.
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you American? You probably won’t be interested in him by the time you’re 18.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by baby.bear)
it’s a little odd that a 21 year old would have interest in a 16 year old. once you’re 18 there would be no problem if you chose to pursue it.

please keep in mind that you’ll be in different stages of life and maturity though. he may want to settle down quicker as he’s older, but you may want to spend time partying etc.

there’s a lot to think about.
my mom wants us to date in 2 years. she swears he´s ¨waiting for me¨, and i would be more than happy to build a relationship in a couple of years, i mean i´ve liked this boy since i was 6! the problem is that him and my brother are best best friends (basically brothers) since 12 years ago, so i know the chances of us ever being together are low:/ but yes i agree
Mhazie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well it depends, if you were to go out and your parents would be okay with it then that's fine. If they are not, and you're sneaking around with a 21 year old and avoiding your parents, he's a pedophile
... lack of parental approval does not make this a paedophile situation, what on earth?? OP'll be 18 and he's 23!
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my mom wants us to date in 2 years. she swears he´s ¨waiting for me¨, and i would be more than happy to build a relationship in a couple of years, i mean i´ve liked this boy since i was 6! the problem is that him and my brother are best best friends (basically brothers) since 12 years ago, so i know the chances of us ever being together are low:/ but yes i agree
No offence, but that’s kind of creepy
Anonymous #1
(Original post by YaliaV123)
No offence, but that’s kind of creepy
what´s creepy ??
sarah.911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im 16 and the guy i like is 21 (he´s a really close family friend, i see him everyday). when i turn 18, he will be 23. It will be legal for us to date and stuff of that sort. My question is, is that too old? he´s quiet immature for his age
I would see this as an issue as you're 16. If you was 20 and he was 25 then I wouldn't see a problem. I find it odd that he even likes a 16 year old and not someone his own age? you've practically just left school.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sarah.911)
I would see this as an issue as you're 16. If you was 20 and he was 25 then I wouldn't see a problem. I find it odd that he even likes a 16 year old and not someone his own age? you've practically just left school.
no no he doesn´t like me! I like him! sorry about the mixup i should have worded it better
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He's literally not a paedophile but okay

OP, the fact that your mum is wating for you to turn 18 so that the pair of you can date is a bit weird tbh. I understand it's probably because he's been close to the family for years so your mum knows he's not an absolute creep but the idea of an older guy (usually it's the male) waiting to date a younger girl is just odd.

Also if you've known him your entire life, he most likely sees you as a younger sister.
brokestudent3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
5 years isn’t a bad age gap but you two are at different points in your lives so it’s kinda weird
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
He's literally not a paedophile but okay

OP, the fact that your mum is wating for you to turn 18 so that the pair of you can date is a bit weird tbh. I understand it's probably because he's been close to the family for years so your mum knows he's not an absolute creep but the idea of an older guy (usually it's the male) waiting to date a younger girl is just odd.

Also if you've known him your entire life, he most likely sees you as a younger sister.
so there´s no chance of us dating? :/
baby.bear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ah that’s cute!! does he like you back??
Mhazie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so there´s no chance of us dating? :/
If he wants to date you when you're 18, then maybe you can. I'm finding it steadily weirder how little you and your mum seem to be considering his feelings in this.
sarah.911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no no he doesn´t like me! I like him! sorry about the mixup i should have worded it better
Just focus on getting to know people your own age, then when you're older and your paths cross again things might be different.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah. There's almost 10 years between my partner and I.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads