mma_jd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
And for law students, how female dominated is it at your uni (percentage wise)?
megascream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know the detailed figure and never counted, but my feeling is roughly the same with slightly more female.

Gender ratio in the States might be higher. In a small exchange programme I did there the male: female ratio is 4 to 9.
mma_jd
Rep:
?
(Original post by megascream)
I don't know the detailed figure and never counted, but my feeling is roughly the same with slightly more female.

Gender ratio in the States might be higher. In a small exchange programme I did there the male: female ratio is 4 to 9.
Thanks, what uni are you in?
megascream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
Thanks, what uni are you in?
Were in LSE and KCL for law but that's years ago. I heard female law students keep increasing.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just spitballing ideas here but it may be that, if the majority of 'generally preferable' degrees (ie good job prospects, make your parents proud degrees etc) like stem aren't typically chosen by females, there are relatively few of such alternative degrees that are typically chosen by females. essentially if the average woman doesn't enjoy a stem degree as much as the average man, they'll deviate towards another subject like law or economics
mma_jd
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
just spitballing ideas here but it may be that, if the majority of 'generally preferable' degrees (ie good job prospects, make your parents proud degrees etc) like stem aren't typically chosen by females, there are relatively few of such alternative degrees that are typically chosen by females. essentially if the average woman doesn't enjoy a stem degree as much as the average man, they'll deviate towards another subject like law or economics
But economics is a male dominated degree on the other hand, and also from what I've heard Law is quite a respected degree that shows a very good academic background? So why wouldn't it be "generally preferable"
EU Yakov
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
over 60% female at my old uni (northern RG)
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cos females just seem to know everything....plus they are a bit better at multitasking and are smarter than men, lets be real.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
But economics is a male dominated degree on the other hand, and also from what I've heard Law is quite a respected degree that shows a very good academic background? So why wouldn't it be "generally preferable"
i don't know that economics is male dominated but that's irrelevant

what i said specifically was that women generally avoid stem degrees when it comes to picking "good degrees", and i am saying that law is one of a few non-stem "good degrees"
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Women tend to be a bit more mature than men at this age, sometimes work harder so get the grades and can be career sensible. In the end it does not matter as plenty of women still go part time or stop work when babies come (sadly they do that - not sure why) so it evens up.
EU Yakov
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also just fyi it's very common for women to study law in greater % than men. i think that it's a similar story in the us, the rest of europe, etc. don't think that the uk is an outlier here
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Is there a point to all this or is it navel gazing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (250)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.66%

Watched Threads