Short courses to increase chances of being accepted onto Environmental Science 2021

Watch
pink_beans
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm a mature student (27) and I'm looking to start university next academic year. I want to increase my chances of being accepted and put in some extra work beforehand as it's been a few years since I've actually been in formal education. I have been looking online at courses on "Study Portals- Short Courses" and have found several that I think would be appropriate! They're around £400 each so I can probably only afford to do one in the next year and would like to choose the best fitting and just see if anyone has done these kinds of courses before. Are they worth doing to increase my acceptance chances and knowledge?
I'm applying to do Environmental Science at Liverpool Hope Unviersity.
The choices of short courses I have come across are:
Earth Science - "identify and describe the Earth, its structure and explain processes that affect change in the structure and composition of the earth. "

Environmental Studies - " introduction to Environmental Studies providing a broad based grounding in environmental and conservation issues, and a foundation course for higher learning."

Conservation and Environment Management - "develop a foundation for managing conservation of different environments."

I personally think that the Earth Science course seems like the best fit to give me a nice all round reintroduction to geography and geology, but some opinions from students that have done courses like this or take a similar university course would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
NicoleDV
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey I honestly don’t think paying for an introduction course is neccesary at all. As long as you can convey your passion for environmental science in a personal statement for example is more than enough. My reason being is that when you begin your environmental studies you aren’t expected to know much - you’ll receive what the university prepare as an introduction to the subject the same as any course. But if you would feel more comfortable and can afford to then ofcourse do it but I really do not think its neccesary. I applied as a mature student and it doesn’t in any way hinder your application you’ve just decided later on what your passion is
pink_beans
Rep:
?
(Original post by NicoleDV)
Hey I honestly don’t think paying for an introduction course is neccesary at all. As long as you can convey your passion for environmental science in a personal statement for example is more than enough. My reason being is that when you begin your environmental studies you aren’t expected to know much - you’ll receive what the university prepare as an introduction to the subject the same as any course. But if you would feel more comfortable and can afford to then ofcourse do it but I really do not think its neccesary. I applied as a mature student and it doesn’t in any way hinder your application you’ve just decided later on what your passion is
That's really good to know and actually very reassuring. I was thinking of doing it simply because I did double Science in school and received a B for Core Science and a D for Additional Science. All my other grades are above a C except that one! I thought if I were to do a course and do well on it I might help the assessor be able to see that it was just a fluke grade!
NicoleDV
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by pink_beans)
That's really good to know and actually very reassuring. I was thinking of doing it simply because I did double Science in school and received a B for Core Science and a D for Additional Science. All my other grades are above a C except that one! I thought if I were to do a course and do well on it I might help the assessor be able to see that it was just a fluke grade!
Yeah completley get you! As I say its defo what you feel more comfortable with because I can see how passionate you are about getting a place. You could even speak with admissions and see what they say. But as long as you met the entry requirements and show your passion in the PS I think you’d be good to go massive good luck!
pink_beans
Rep:
?
(Original post by NicoleDV)
Yeah completley get you! As I say its defo what you feel more comfortable with because I can see how passionate you are about getting a place. You could even speak with admissions and see what they say. But as long as you met the entry requirements and show your passion in the PS I think you’d be good to go massive good luck!
You're quite right, at this point I'll do whatever I can to get on that course. Thanks for the luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (319)
57.27%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.82%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (63)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.8%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.77%

Watched Threads