Two personal statements for different subjects at uni

Watch
galaxyemma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do any universities allow you to separately send a personal statement that they will look at INSTEAD of your UCAS personal statement, NOT alongside it?

I am really stuck between two completely different subjects and wondering whether I can apply to both subjects at different universities. I have heard that some universities allow you to send more information outside of UCAS over email, but if applying to two separate courses I would not want the university to read the other subject statement. Do any universities allow this?

Thank you!
FatYikes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I very much doubt that this is allowed, I have never heard of them accepting something like this. Universities want you to show dedication to your subject which is undermined if you apply for multiple wildly different ones. Would it be possible for you to look into joint honours/flexible degrees/LANs courses?
galaxyemma
Rep:
?
Thank you for your quick reply! I have considered a LANS course and will most probably put this as my top option, but still stuck on which subject to actually write the personal statement for. I guess clearing is always an option if I change my mind, but I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage!
FatYikes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by galaxyemma)
Thank you for your quick reply! I have considered a LANS course and will most probably put this as my top option, but still stuck on which subject to actually write the personal statement for. I guess clearing is always an option if I change my mind, but I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage!
Just out of interest which subjects are you stuck between?
MinnieW09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can always ask the university/ies you want to apply for with a different subject if they will accept a second PS.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some uni's may request a second personal statement, or set you some Q's to answer, (most often in cases where the course is quite a unique one). You could ask if either of your potential courses do this. Outside of this though, there's really no guarantee that anything you send outside of UCAS is going to be used.

I am sure many unis will 'accept' a personal statement emailed to them, but only in the sense that they acknowledge receipt and attach it to your application. Whether it is actually looked at is another matter entirely. Strictly speaking they shouldn't consider anything not via UCAS, as it is unfair if some applicants decide to shoot off 4 additional bespoke statements to try and boost their chances.

If you absolutely cannot decide now, I would apply for one course, (hopefully the one with lower entry requirements, and is a common subject with your other apps), and then if successful you could ask them to change any time before enrolment. They may say no, but often they can accommodate a course change if there is space.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the subjects are not wildly different - Biomedical Science and Biochemistry for instance - then one PS is fine.
They can see that you have applied for both courses.

If they are different then email the Uni and ask if they will accept a separate PS.
They dont have to but most will - do this before you apply.
galaxyemma
Rep:
?
(Original post by FatYikes)
Just out of interest which subjects are you stuck between?
Physics and geography/economics.

I've always thought of myself doing physics at university, but I've slowly started to realised that I it might not be the best option for me. I really like certain aspects (space, particles), but almost all other areas I don't like! Being such a hard degree, I am starting to think that I should really be invested in all areas of physics to pursue it, rather than just because I always imagined myself doing it.

I've always really liked geography, but never considered it a degree option until recently. Geophysics is a degree, but I specifically also really like the human aspect of geography (globalisation, geopolitics etc) too so would not want that to be lost. I enjoy all aspects of geography, but what worries me is the employability prospects. I take physics, chemistry, maths and geography a levels, so should I decide to pursue a technical/maths/science related job in the future, I would not want to be disadvantaged by having a geography degree. I understand that economics is basically a maths version of human geography, so that is also an option I would consider, but then I would be entirely losing any physical science!

Overall, I am still leaning on the side of writing a physics personal statement as I have a lot to write about (considering I expected to do this degree for many years), and perhaps go through clearing if I change my mind? My logic is that physics would be harder to secure in clearing as apposed to geography/economics, but I may be wrong.

As you can see I am in a bit of a mess at the moment, but all advice is helpful!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know Durham will accept a substitute personal statement, don't know of any other unis that do though galaxyemma

https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply...nt/substitute/
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I know Durham will accept a substitute personal statement, don't know of any other unis that do though

https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply...nt/substitute/
(Original post by galaxyemma)
Physics and geography/economics.

I've always thought of myself doing physics at university, but I've slowly started to realised that I it might not be the best option for me. I really like certain aspects (space, particles), but almost all other areas I don't like! Being such a hard degree, I am starting to think that I should really be invested in all areas of physics to pursue it, rather than just because I always imagined myself doing it.

I've always really liked geography, but never considered it a degree option until recently. Geophysics is a degree, but I specifically also really like the human aspect of geography (globalisation, geopolitics etc) too so would not want that to be lost. I enjoy all aspects of geography, but what worries me is the employability prospects. I take physics, chemistry, maths and geography a levels, so should I decide to pursue a technical/maths/science related job in the future, I would not want to be disadvantaged by having a geography degree. I understand that economics is basically a maths version of human geography, so that is also an option I would consider, but then I would be entirely losing any physical science!

Overall, I am still leaning on the side of writing a physics personal statement as I have a lot to write about (considering I expected to do this degree for many years), and perhaps go through clearing if I change my mind? My logic is that physics would be harder to secure in clearing as apposed to geography/economics, but I may be wrong.

As you can see I am in a bit of a mess at the moment, but all advice is helpful!
Presumably you are considering Physics with Astrophysics like this course at Bristol?

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...yAAEgIwr_D_BwE

At the risk of confusing you further, Geography & Economics link nicely together and there are quite a few good unis that offer this combination like LSE

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U...with-Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.32%
I don't have everything I need (94)
38.68%

Watched Threads