Jaegis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Pretty much what it says in the title. I'm in year 12, considering applying to Oxbridge next year, and the Cambridge NatSci seems pretty interesting. The problem is, I'm only doing two science/maths a-levels - I'm doing biology, chemistry and English literature, as well as an EPQ, which is going well, and I'm not sure how much that will affect my chances. I'd obviously do the biological sciences if I got in.

Would I stand a decent chance without maths or physics? Even if it was a good idea to switch to maths from lit this far through the year, I wouldn't want to. I don't like maths. I got four 9s, five 8s (I think) and one 7 at gcse (8 in maths, for the record), and I'm confident that I'll get at least A*AA at a-level, hopefully more. This is mostly me just wondering how seriously I should take the idea of Cambridge NatSci.

Thanks in advance!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There is no longer a route for students without A-level Maths to my knowledge, so that is more or less required now. There is possibly a route for those with AS Maths who do some extra work over the summer, but I really doubt you will be able to make a serious application without it, since all first year students need to do maths in NatSci first year and the former route for those without maths has been restructured and now assumes some of the A-level curriculum from what I understand. Also I gather in that course you would be doing mathematical work (or needing to understand mathematics beyond mere descriptive statistics at least implicitly) even in biological modules beyond first year, so if you don't like maths it is debatable whether a course like NatSci would be suited to your interests in any case.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 10 months ago
Jaegis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There is no longer a route for students without A-level Maths to my knowledge, so that is more or less required now. There is possibly a route for those with AS Maths who do some extra work over the summer, but I really doubt you will be able to make a serious application without it, since all first year students need to do maths in NatSci first year and the former route for those without maths has been restructured and now assumes some of the A-level curriculum from what I understand. Also I gather in that course you would be doing mathematical work (or needing to understand mathematics beyond mere descriptive statistics at least implicitly) even in biological modules beyond first year, so if you don't like maths it is debatable whether a course like NatSci would be suited to your interests in any case.
Thanks for the advice! I think you're right, not liking maths is... not going to go well on that kind of course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (245)
57.38%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (57)
13.35%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.77%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.43%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.45%

Watched Threads