username5490332
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I would like to go to Southampton as it’s a russell group university with high entry grades in the area I want. However the only issue I’m having is I’m unhappy with the dynamics and relativity module which is compulsory. I really don’t want to do any mechanics related maths, as it’s the whole reason I didn’t do further maths for A level. Should I just suck it up and go there and do the module, or should I go to a non russell group university that doesn’t make me do any mechanics, eg Sussex?
username5490332
Rep:
?
bump
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally I wouldn’t let one first year module make or break my decision. It’s only worth 15credits and your first year grades won’t count towards your final classification anyways.
It all depends on why you don’t want to do it -do you hate it that much that you will let it make you’re uni decision for you? Or Do you struggle with the topics at hand?
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Personally I wouldn’t let one first year module make or break my decision. It’s only worth 15credits and your first year grades won’t count towards your final classification anyways.
It all depends on why you don’t want to do it -do you hate it that much that you will let it make you’re uni decision for you? Or Do you struggle with the topics at hand?
I’m not the best at the topics, but I’m capable of (reluctantly) doing them. I just don’t enjoy it, I don’t know why. I guess I find it dull and sometimes complicated. But thank you, that has really helped knowing that it doesn’t count towards the final grade! I’m definitely considering this more than I was before
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilbabypenguin)
I’m not the best at the topics, but I’m capable of (reluctantly) doing them. I just don’t enjoy it, I don’t know why. I guess I find it dull and sometimes complicated. But thank you, that has really helped knowing that it doesn’t count towards the final grade! I’m definitely considering this more than I was before
Yeah first year modules only count in that you have to pass them. If you look at the degree classification specs for southampton you’ll see that the weighting is 0:1:2. For your three years. (Meaning first year has no weighting)

You may find that in a new learning environment you won’t struggle so much with the content, and your lecturer/tutor may make it more interesting than previous teachers. (Or you may hate it just as much and be bored by it) but it’s only for the second semester of first year.
I personally wouldn’t let that put me off a course but only you know how much you hate/struggle with it.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilbabypenguin)
I would like to go to Southampton as it’s a russell group university with high entry grades in the area I want. However the only issue I’m having is I’m unhappy with the dynamics and relativity module which is compulsory. I really don’t want to do any mechanics related maths, as it’s the whole reason I didn’t do further maths for A level. Should I just suck it up and go there and do the module, or should I go to a non russell group university that doesn’t make me do any mechanics, eg Sussex?
Pretty much everyone hates at least one module in the first year. The variety and options in years 2 and 3 will be much more enjoyable. You’ll be ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (74)
66.07%
I don't have everything I need (38)
33.93%

Watched Threads