Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    If you don't know what that means then it probably means you don't waste your entire life on the internet and hence have a good education!! hehe
    but I do spend my entire life on the internet but I still dont know the meaning and thus I do not have a good education.

Unless meaning of internet words is a measure of how good your education is.

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays degrees are much more common place and hence an increased number of people go on to do a postgraduate qualification i.e. a masters course.

I think a degree gets the "foot in the door" and is a stepping stone to whatever one may want to do. In the areas of programming or web developing it is the experience that is needed to get to the "big bucks".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCARYLITTLEBOY)
    Nowadays degrees are much more common place and hence an increased number of people go on to do a postgraduate qualification i.e. a masters course.

I think a degree gets the "foot in the door" and is a stepping stone to whatever one may want to do. In the areas of programming or web developing it is the experience that is needed to get to the "big bucks".
    but eventually everyone will have PhD.s....

(but some in Beach Management, Sports Studies :rolleyes: :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)

I don't think so. Am moving back to the US anyways once i've completed my edu here. This country is fux'd.

ReputationRep:
    Consider the following situations:

1) Son of two educated parents
    2) Son of two stone-age parents

1) is more complex than 2) and thus "evolved" from lower forms of life e.g. stone age people.
    I suggest you level basic GCSE biology my friend. That is if you are talking about evolution as per Darwin.

ReputationRep:

I doubt that because of the sheer amount of time it takes. The normal route being undergraduate degree, masters, phd takes a minimum of 7 years but in many cases longer.

ReputationRep:

1) is more complex than 2) and thus "evolved" from lower forms of life e.g. stone age people.
    maybe the reason 1) is more 'complex' than 2) is because 1) has the benefit of a standardised state education..?

although i can see where you're coming from in the sense that our brains are supposed to have got bigger and adapted to hold more information / solve problems since stone-age times. this isn't set in stone though.

ReputationRep:
    Its necessary for humans to "evolve". If everyone gets a degree then the entire human population is better educated and therefore more advantageous. On the other hand if no one gets degrees then we become less educated and we are back to the stone age.
    you make the assumption that the material taught in most degree courses is useful for the development of the human race

ReputationRep:

Sorry doll that isnt how it works I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    You can't get the experience unless you have a degree though. I work part time as a web assistant. It was advertised as an undergraduate or graduate job. This is just for an £8 an hour job.

There is so much stuff university teaches you don't learn on the job which may be of interest for example how TV broadcasting works. I believe that its always a good idea to learrn the fudemental theory first and then learn the specifics on the job.

One thing for example my course really teaches you to do is to design stuff for interactive use and not paper based, a lot of web developers especialy graphics designers still think they're making a poster or somthing.

I don't regret going to university for one minute, its made me much more open minded and much more rounded.

Traveling can also give you the same experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    maybe the reason 1) is more 'complex' than 2) is because 1) has the benefit of a standardised state education..?

although i can see where you're coming from in the sense that our brains are supposed to have got bigger and adapted to hold more information / solve problems since stone-age times. this isn't set in stone though.
    It is wrong to assume that we are going to continue evolving greater cranial capactiy and intelligence if we continue using our brains because there is no longer any selection pressure on this characteristic. Characteristics upon which there is no selection pressure do not evolve in any particular net direction. His arguement was undoubtably a factor in past human evolution but this is no longer the case.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that because of the sheer amount of time it takes. The normal route being undergraduate degree, masters, phd takes a minimum of 7 years but in many cases longer.
    My boss has a Phd, my other boss as a masters. Both of their diserations in the office, the PhD is thicker than the bible, its like an encydopeadia. My main desertation has to be 10,000 words thats quite a big difference between a degree and a PhD from the same university.

PhDs require so much commitment, even masters do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Sorry doll that isnt how it works I'm afraid.
    his logic isn't completed flawed if you look at the differences between the brains of humans around in the stone age and ourselves.. everything evolves to some extend, after all.

ReputationRep:
    you make the assumption that the material taught in most degree courses is useful for the development of the human race
    Yes and as I previously said, a degree is not a prerequisite for avoiding predators, finding food, and reproducing. Hence it will make no difference in evolutionary terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    My boss has a Phd, my other boss as a masters. Both of their diserations in the office, the PhD is thicker than the bible, its like an encydopeadia. My main desertation has to be 10,000 words thats quite a big difference between a degree and a PhD from the same university.

PhDs require so much commitment, even masters do.
    Yes my friend is in his first year of his phd. The total word count for the reports he has had to write up since the start of this academic year exceeds 200,000!!! :eek: He just get to fly all around the world attending conferences though and is paid 19k for the pleasure! Lucky git! hehe

ReputationRep:
    Yes my friend is in his first year of his phd. The total word count for the reports he has had to write up since the start of this academic year exceeds 200,000!!! :eek: He just get to fly all around the world attending conferences though and is paid 19k for the pleasure! Lucky git! hehe
    200,000 words is almost as many words as I have written on this forum :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Depends really on what you want to do. I dont think you should do it for the sake of it and that you should pick any course for the sake of it. Also its important to keep in mind that it isnt the passport to a great career despite what your parents try and tell you!

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong to assume that we are going to continue evolving greater cranial capactiy and intelligence if we continue using our brains because there is no longer any selection pressure on this characteristic. Characteristics upon which there is no selection pressure do not evolve in any particular net direction. His arguement was undoubtably a factor in past human evolution but this is no longer the case.
    we don't know enough about the brain to rule out any physiological changes that may have occured over the last few thousand years.

we are more sophisticated than stone age men, but of course, as i think everyone realises, it is due to our ability to learn and adapt from the generations that have gone before us than any physical change.

i was reading about how certain neural pathways have adapted over time without changing the morphology of the brain - so that's one way in which an "adaption" could be considered.

although i take back what i said about "brains changing in size", because i think they're still roughly the same in shape as they were all those years ago..

ReputationRep:
    we don't know enough about the brain to rule out any physiological changes that may have occured over the last few thousand years.

we are more sophisticated than stone age men, but of course, as i think everyone realises, it is due to our ability to learn and adapt from the generations that have gone before us than any physical change.

i was reading about how certain neural pathways have adapted over time without changing the morphology of the brain - so that's one way in which an "adaption" could be considered.

although i take back what i said about "brains changing in size", because i think they're still roughly the same in shape as they were all those years ago..
    I am arguing in pure darwinian evolutionary terms. Having degree level knowledge in no way gives an individual the ability to produce more offspring relative to those without this education and so evolution of this characteristic will NOT occur. Full stop. If you disagree with that then you are disagreeing with 99.9% of the world's scientific community. I will even go further to suggest that those who are uneducated will on average have larger families than educated individuals (think LEDCs) and so if anything, their genomes are being selected more than those of educated individuals.

ReputationRep:
    I am arguing in pure darwinian evolutionary terms. Having degree level knowledge in no way gives an individual the ability to produce more offspring relative to those without this education and so evolution of this characteristic will NOT occur. Full stop. If you disagree with that then you are disagreeing with 99.9% of the world's scientific community. I will even go further to suggest that those who are uneducated will on average have larger families than educated individuals (think LEDCs) and so if anything, their genomes are being selected more than those of educated individuals.
    :confused: i'm not arguing about degree level knowledge. i'm comparing people generally from between current times and stone age times.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.