Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Bill Gates does have a degree, he was educated at Havard. He is one of the most highly educated people in the planet.

He was not really a business man as such, he wrote software for the new bread of Microcomputers. He stroke a deal with Apple and then Commodore for their PET to write the BASIC operating system (he being one of the few people on the planet that could do this).

Then he really struck lucky when IBM asked Microsoft to produce MS-DOS. This is where the business man Bill Gates comes in.
    Bill Gates GREAT GRANDAD, GRANDAD were both RICH BANKERS in senior positions. His mother was also from a well off family too.

He was born into a rich family. He was educated at LAKESIDE, which cost much more than the yearly tuition fee at Harvard in the 1960's and 70's :eek: :eek:

When he went to Harvard. He scored 800 PERFECT in his SAT Maths test.

I think he selected Law to begin with and then changed over to Maths?

In end he did not complete his degree. He probably has read all the books that the undergraduates at Harvard Maths would have done?

Still he was more passionate about Computer Software.

You don;t knwo how hard him and his close friends worked.

They really did make huge sacrifices. By spending every waking moment reading, writing, software programs, computer literature. Playing around with hardware etc.
    All those long nights, and sleeping on the floor and then again the following night.

There are a few really good books available on his life too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    even though you may not need a degree to succeed (like Bill Gates) but these people are rare to find. So if you want a good job get a degree.

But if everyone is getting a degree, why should we do degrees?

This is interesting. By the year 2020. Most of the Russell Group universities and a few others they will be charging the market rate fees.

What happens when you have to pay £50k+++++ for a 3/4 year bachelor undergraduate degree?

Less people will probably go to university once the the cap on top up fees is lifted.

Imperial wanted to charge £10k at least per year in fees..... Oxford say they want to go private by 2020 too.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by london_1)
    Bill Gates GREAT GRANDAD, GRANDAD were both RICH BANKERS in senior positions. His mother was also from a well off family too.

He was born into a rich family. He was educated at LAKESIDE, which cost much more than the yearly tuition fee at Harvard in the 1960's and 70's :eek: :eek:

When he went to Harvard. He scored 800 PERFECT in his SAT Maths test.

I think he selected Law to begin with and then changed over to Maths?

In end he did not complete his degree. He probably has read all the books that the undergraduates at Harvard Maths would have done?

Still he was more passionate about Computer Software.

You don;t knwo how hard him and his close friends worked.

They really did make huge sacrifices. By spending every waking moment reading, writing, software programs, computer literature. Playing around with hardware etc.
    All those long nights, and sleeping on the floor and then again the following night.

There are a few really good books available on his life too.
    He did really work hard but so did people like Jack Tramiel and Chuck Peddle. Two heros that really put the computer into the home, as well as course the more famous Sir Clive Sinclair.

Sinclair incidentantly didn't have a degree although he is chancelor of a university now I think and he is the chariman of MENSA UK. He did however get extremely good A level results. The reason he didn't go to university was because he knew he could teach himself anything he could learn at university and he did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i start neuro next term as well, but it seems very interesting!! i'm hopefully doing a neuroscience intercalated degree next year, but how much of this contains brain evolution remains to be seen..
    I'm an archaeologist being made to do anthropology for a year, but finding the bio anth amazing as well! It's been good to read some names (stone age, last common ancestor etc) and some dates thrown about here and try and give them their proper names, obviously not necessary to the topic but good revision for me!

did anyone say they did? :confused: i remember posting..."Neandertals had larger brains than we now do. But modern humans roaming around Africa and Europe 90,000 years ago had brains about the same size as Neandertals, albeit with larger temporal lobes." - but that merely compares both neanderthals and the humans around at the time.
    I don't think it was said outright but I was a tad concerned they might have been used as an example where they really shouldn't be. I picked up on it simply because I like that debate and without being told an agreed conclusion managed to come to the same one in an essay, so that made me love it more! (My essays are weeks ahead of the lectures, annoying mostly but fun when you get everything being said in a lecture without really trying!) That point is true of my whole reply, did so simply because I liked reading it, nothing more to add really as I think you're all saying roughly the same thing in different ways (ie. a discussion more than two opposing views) and the only debate is the following; which you already rightly extracted!

It is wrong to assume that we are going to continue evolving greater cranial capactiy and intelligence if we continue using our brains because there is no longer any selection pressure on this characteristic.

why is it wrong to assume cranial capacity and intelligence will evolve and why isn't there any selection pressure on this characteristic? what do you think the selection criteria has been since stone-age times, and why do you think this won't change as we start to use our brains differently / with lobar variety?

Interesting!!

yeah, i would think that would be the reason - any ideas for which lobes / areas we don't use so much any more (aside from temporal)? i would have thought our cerebral cortex would have increased, but apparently not..
    Sorry, I don't know anything beyond A-level biology about structures of the brain, and even that is more than hazy. When I get round to my holiday bio anth reading and finished lent term maybe I'll have a better idea!

i don't think anyone, except darkenergy, is disputing that.
    Good good, that was my way of summing it up simply and basically trying to give a nice way of saying the alternative view is a bit silly, which no one was giving thankfully.

I have no problems admitting I don't know things, and there's a lot of stuff to do with this that I really don't know as much about as I should really, but I wish I did! :p: It's all very interesting! What a cop out, I've hardly made any points in all of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    I'm an archaeologist being made to do anthropology for a year, but finding the bio anth amazing as well! It's been good to read some names (stone age, last common ancestor etc) and some dates thrown about here and try and give them their proper names, obviously not necessary to the topic but good revision for me!
    i think anthropology is fascinating as well. one of our tutors, Dr. Alice Roberts (she's the red headed woman on Time Team and also presents a new show "Extreme Archaeology) is a brilliant teacher and always tries to throw in things related to her studies when she teaches us anatomy.

I don't think it was said outright but I was a tad concerned they might have been used as an example where they really shouldn't be. I picked up on it simply because I like that debate and without being told an agreed conclusion managed to come to the same one in an essay, so that made me love it more! (My essays are weeks ahead of the lectures, annoying mostly but fun when you get everything being said in a lecture without really trying!) That point is true of my whole reply, did so simply because I liked reading it, nothing more to add really as I think you're all saying roughly the same thing in different ways (ie. a discussion more than two opposing views) and the only debate is the following; which you already rightly extracted!
    we'll have to discuss it further when we've both had some neuro teaching (obviously yours will be in more depth about the evolution of the brain, but i'll counter that with complicating sounding words and physiology )

ReputationRep:
    i think anthropology is fascinating as well. one of our tutors, Dr. Alice Roberts (she's the red headed woman on Time Team and also presents a new show "Extreme Archaeology) is a brilliant teacher and always tries to throw in things related to her studies when she teaches us anatomy.

we'll have to discuss it further when we've both had some neuro teaching (obviously yours will be in more depth about the evolution of the brain, but i'll counter that with complicating sounding words and physiology )
    Anthropology is great, well the bio anth is great, the soc anth I'm not so sure about!
    Time Team...it's always mentioned, damn programme. :p: That's another debate entirely, one I won't get into again. Extreme archaeology is hilarious, but it can make me contemplate murder! (The annoying Welsh bloke!)

'complicating sounding words!' Perfect. So true, silly medics! :p:

This thread may have actually inspired me to do some work ( :eek: ) or rather scared me into it, there's too much I've forgotten already!

ReputationRep:
    Anthropology is great, well the bio anth is great, the soc anth I'm not so sure about!
    Time Team...it's always mentioned, damn programme. :p:
    surely a programme which raises the profile of archaeology with the general public and encourages more people to think about studying the subject couldn't be a bad thing? :p:

and dr. alice is a legend. she's a medical doctor, has a degree in anatomy, works as a police forensic scientist, is a qualified osteologist and is currently doing a PhD concerning the adaptions of an ape's shoulder girdle (!)

'complicating sounding words!' Perfect. So true, silly medics! :p:
    so sorry, i was under the impression that budding archaeologists didn't have to get out of bed until 1pm and still had time at the end of the day to watch countdown :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    I think you've answered your own question.

A degree can act as a safety net to some extent. So whilst you don't need one (Billy Gates, Richard Branson etc) it might be a good idea.
    Sorry to be pedantic, but as an English student should you not realise that the original poster did not articulate a question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Sorry to be pedantic, but as an English student should you not realise that the original poster did not articulate a question?
    can you please stop bringing this thread back on topic!

ReputationRep:
    surely a programme which raises the profile of archaeology with the general public and encourages more people to think about studying the subject couldn't be a bad thing? :p:

and dr. alice is a legend. she's a medical doctor, has a degree in anatomy, works as a police forensic scientist, is a qualified osteologist and is currently doing a PhD concerning the adaptions of an ape's shoulder girdle (!)

so sorry, i was under the impression that budding archaeologists didn't have to get out of bed until 1pm and still had time at the end of the day to watch countdown :cool:

Woah, don't tempt me! I have been known to go on and on about this one on many occasions! We had a weekend field trip to Wessex, at least a 4hour journey...guess how myself and my fellow enthusiasts decided to spend our time! :p: Just ask MentallyIll (he hasn't been around for a while though) but he had the misfortune of sitting opposite us! That was only one occasion, trust me, there have been many more!
    (But generally speaking, I have agreed to agree with what you say, allbeit with force and a lack of goodwill! :p: ) Dr Alice is indeed cool though (I'm a bit of an EXA fan!) and a bit of a role model I think! (I agued my way into my A-level choices wanting to be a forensic archaeologist!)

I'd argue the second point but it would possibly invlove lying. I don't ever have 9am lectures but I have had 8:45am supervisions and I row so I don't always sleep in! I may not have timetabled stuff but I do have lots and lots of essays, proper ones involving lots of research not like little poxy medic ones! (Not many can say they wrote 16+ in their first term!) But this is all bitterness at constantly being told I'm mucking up my life by not being a medic! :p: Nasty medics!

ReputationRep:
    Woah, don't tempt me! I have been known to go on and on about this one on many occasions! We had a weekend field trip to Wessex, at least a 4hour journey...guess how myself and my fellow enthusiasts decided to spend our time! :p: Just ask MentallyIll (he hasn't been around for a while though) but he had the misfortune of sitting opposite us! That was only one occasion, trust me, there have been many more!
    maybe he's called mentallyill for a reason

(But generally speaking, I have agreed to agree with what you say, allbeit with force and a lack of goodwill! :p: ) Dr Alice is indeed cool though (I'm a bit of an EXA fan!) and a bit of a role model I think!
    so basically you can't really disagree with anything i say, period. hehe, i think extreme archaeology is good but i think it's a bit cheesy how they've just stuck the "extreme" part infront of it, as if they're going to partake in acts of "extreme ironing" style challenges

But this is all bitterness at constantly being told I'm mucking up my life by not being a medic! :p: Nasty medics!
    that's quite random. archaeology and medicine are two completely different things, and you're not exactly at Thames Valley University, are you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    maybe he's called mentallyill for a reason

so basically you can't really disagree with anything i say, period. hehe, i think extreme archaeology is good but i think it's a bit cheesy how they've just stuck the "extreme" part infront of it, as if they're going to partake in acts of "extreme ironing" style challenges

that's quite random. archaeology and medicine are two completely different things, and you're not exactly at Thames Valley University, are you? :p:
    Mentally ill after having to listen to us go on for hours, quite possibly, poor guy, he was trying to sleep!

I think I should clarify that I came to that decision ages ago and has nothing to do with you :p: (you word it nicely though!) I can disagree, but for the sake of time and effort I won't, it would take ages and what you wrote would be my final words anyway! Call it a compromise and short answer to a touchy subject! I know I've had the discussion before on these boards if you're after what I really think...

Extreme Archaeology is meant to be cheesey (I hope!) and it's funny, not something I'd take too seriously though, they add the danger to make good tv, which is just comical! Again, I know I've discussed this before on here! My friends and I had 'Extreme Camping' in honour of the show!

I wouldn't use the word 'completely', archaeology and medicine can be linked (our Christmas dinner discussion in fact!) with ease, they're both so very broad and both fundamentally about people so will always have overlap! My subject's better though! :p:

I don't think it mattered to those that questioned my decision, if I wasn't going to be a medic or a lawyer why was I bothering at all!? Having the right A-levels to be a doctor doesn't mean you should always be (or want to be) one, sadly some people didn't understand that.

Ach, I really must go and pack now, going away tomorrow and I'm not prepared at all!! Nice talking to you!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use the word 'completely', archaeology and medicine can be linked (our Christmas dinner discussion in fact!) with ease, they're both so very broad and both fundamentally about people so will always have overlap! My subject's better though! :p:
    fair point. may be better to expand and say clinical medicine (i.e. patient contact) and archaeology are the different things, of course the study of evolutionary biology has a strong impact on modern medicine!

I really must go and pack now, going away tomorrow and I'm not prepared at all!! Nice talking to you!
    you too. also good to discuss something with a person so passionate about their subject. enjoy your 'extreme' trip

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2005
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.