Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by shireen1212)
article is linked here
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3929633/

can someone summarise in a simple manner pls
Going by the abstract only, here's a summary:

Aim: The researchers were investigating whether they could detect drugs added to drinks, using an advanced analysis technique - Gas Chromatography- Mass Spectroscopy (GCMS).

Method: They added 3 different types of sedatives (the benzodiazapines diazepam, flunitrazepam and temazepam) to 5 different drinks (an alcopop, a beer, a white wine, a spirit, and a J2O). One set of samples was kept in a fridge, and one set kept at room temperature. Then they tested them several times over a 25 day period, using GCMS, to see how long the drugs could still be detected in the drinks.

Results: The drugs were still detected under both storage conditions throughout the study period, although some drugs were more stable than others. The diazepam stayed the same in all of the drinks, except the J2O, under both storage conditions. The flunitrazepam and temazepam were also stable in all the drinks except the J2O (there was a 97% loss of temazepam and 39% loss of flunitrazepam in the J2O)

Obviously, there is more detail in the whole paper, but thats as far as I go
shireen1212
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
Going by the abstract only, here's a summary:

Aim: The researchers were investigating whether they could detect drugs added to drinks, using an advanced analysis technique - Gas Chromatography- Mass Spectroscopy (GCMS).

Method: They added 3 different types of sedatives (the benzodiazapines diazepam, flunitrazepam and temazepam) to 5 different drinks (an alcopop, a beer, a white wine, a spirit, and a J2O). One set of samples was kept in a fridge, and one set kept at room temperature. Then they tested them several times over a 25 day period, using GCMS, to see how long the drugs could still be detected in the drinks.

Results: The drugs were still detected under both storage conditions throughout the study period, although some drugs were more stable than others. The diazepam stayed the same in all of the drinks, except the J2O, under both storage conditions. The flunitrazepam and temazepam were also stable in all the drinks except the J2O (there was a 97% loss of temazepam and 39% loss of flunitrazepam in the J2O)

Obviously, there is more detail in the whole paper, but thats as far as I go
aah thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (65)
4.61%
Uncertainty around my education (217)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (154)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (200)
14.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (61)
4.33%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (82)
5.82%
Loneliness (126)
8.94%
Financial worries (48)
3.4%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (65)
4.61%
Exposure to negative news/social media (68)
4.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (73)
5.18%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (121)
8.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (130)
9.22%

Watched Threads