Anyone willing to help me sort out my life before it goes downhill again?!!!!

Watch
Study6076
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
@lege-lego
You helped me before, so I would appreciate it if you could do so again.

So, basically this happened in GCSE and resulted in me not reaching my full potential and I am seeing myself making the same mistakes again that I did in GCSE.

-The work I currently have to do 7/8 assignment, of which I have only done one.

-Two chemistry tests on Thursday ( Amount of Substance and Kinetics)

- differentiation test on Wed

- I have mocks starting on the 4th of Jan, and like the fudging lazy piece of crap I am I haven't made any proper notes for it or preparation yet
- regards to this I can use adapt to sort out the revision timetable so I don't have a problem with that but what I do have a problem with is that

1) the motivation to do revision
2) When I do notes I mean thoroughly looking through multiple resources and satisfying the spec point notes and then making flashcards on anki( with the space repetition thing and active recall) finally exam qs, but bcs of my perfectionism this is annoying me and I don't know how to put it into words so if anyone gets me please let me know!!
3)I think I have this imposter syndrome (i think this is what it's called) where I think I am not capable of doing well and I have a fear that If i do do all of this and I still end up doing badly in mocks

And regards to uni preparation forget that bcs I have done NOTHING i am part of pathways to Medicine at Imperial but that is it and I have bad anxiety so we got given this massive revision planner from school with every day on it and I like to plan everything in advance bcs of my anxiety I like to be in control of the situation but it is not workin well bcs I want to have a clear plan of what things I need to have accomplished or started every month e.g. one goal for feb get driving license by the end of the month(only an example) and because there are so many things to do I feel like I am missing some stuff out and it worsens everything...now I am just rambling, this is bad but even if I don't do the things in my plan although it does worsen it when i don't achieve it, it reduces my anxiety knowing I am in control if that makes sense

One more thing, is that I watch/read all of these extracurricular stuff eg. Ali Abdaal's everything (podcast, newsletter , blogs) - this is bcs i think I can learn a lot from him that I can implement into my life, and other people and like advice I have got from TSR regarding Oxbridge etc., and I don't know how to organise all of them and make notes so I can refer back to them can someone help me with this pleaseee?

Also we got our academic reports and our projected grades( Year 13 grades they think we would get if we sat the exam right now)

Bio target grade - A* projected grade- A
Chem target grade - A* projected grade - C
Maths target grade - A* projected - A
Psych target grade -A projected -A

This might appear good in some ppl's eyes and I am not saying it's not (except for Chem) but I know this is only bcs we have covered a little bit of content now and I know for a fact that when the amount of content we learn increases then these grades are not going to be the same

There are lots and lots of other things I want to do besides this e.g. get a part-time job, exercise, read( I think I have a read only a bunch of books in my whole lifetime ,embarrassing I know, and I want to read so many books I have a list but bcs of my poor time management I haven't been able to), do extracurriculars for Cambridge, but even though I have read lots of time management articles and videos I am still failing at this.

I have high aspirations ( Cambridge) but I am trying to do something about this before it ends in a place where I know it inevitably will if I don't take action

Sorry if this was a long post, but I would appreciate it if you could address and help me with each one of my issues I have outlined above as much as you can, because I am struggling (as you can see)
Last edited by Study6076; 1 month ago
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by Study6076)
@lege-lego

So, basically this happened in GCSE and resulted in me not reaching my full potential and I am seeing myself making the same mistakes again that I did in GCSE.

- I have mocks starting on the 4th of Jan, and like the fudging lazy piece of crap I am I haven't made any proper notes for it or preparation yet
- regards to this I can use adapt to sort out the revision timetable so I don't have a problem with that but what I do have a problem with is that

2) When I do notes I mean thoroughly looking through multiple resources and satisfying the spec point notes and then making flashcards on anki( with the space repetition thing and active recall) finally exam qs, but bcs of my perfectionism this is annoying me and I don't know how to put it into words so if anyone gets me please let me know!!
3)I think I have this imposter syndrome (i think this is what it's called) where I think I am not capable of doing well and I have a fear that If i do do all of this and I still end up doing badly in mocks

And regards to uni preparation forget that bcs I have done NOTHING i am part of pathways to Medicine at Imperial but that is it and I have bad anxiety so we got given this massive revision planner from school with every day on it and I like to plan everything in advance bcs of my anxiety I like to be in control of the situation but it is not workin well bcs I want to have a clear plan of what things I need to have accomplished or started every month e.g. one goal for feb get driving license by the end of the month(only an example) and because there are so many things to do I feel like I am missing some stuff out and it worsens everything...now I am just rambling, this is bad but even if I don't do the things in my plan although it does worsen it when i don't achieve it, it reduces my anxiety knowing I am in control if that makes sense

One more thing, is that I watch/read all of these extracurricular stuff eg. Ali Abdaal's everything (podcast, newsletter , blogs) - this is bcs i think I can learn a lot from him that I can implement into my life, and other people and like advice I have got from TSR regarding Oxbridge etc., and I don't know how to organise all of them and make notes so I can refer back to them can someone help me with this pleaseee?

Also we got our academic reports and our projected grades( Year 13 grades they think we would get if we sat the exam right now)

This might appear good in some ppl's eyes and I am not saying it's not (except for Chem) but I know this is only bcs we have covered a little bit of content now and I know for a fact that when the amount of content we learn increases then these grades are not going to be the same

There are lots and lots of other things I want to do besides this e.g. get a part-time job, exercise, read( I think I have a read only a bunch of books in my whole lifetime ,embarrassing I know, and I want to read so many books I have a list but bcs of my poor time management I haven't been able to), do extracurriculars for Cambridge, but even though I have read lots of time management articles and videos I am still failing at this.

I have high aspirations ( Cambridge) but I am trying to do something about this before it ends in a place where I know it inevitably will if I don't take action

Sorry if this was a long post, but I would appreciate it if you could address and help me with each one of my issues I have outlined above as much as you can, because I am struggling (as you can see)
lege-lego help please i am failure I know
beth448
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve been struggling with workload and motivation, I’m also in my 2nd year of alevels. I’ve been taking each day at a time, I like to use motivation playlists but they don’t do much. Maybe try making small goals and not overwhelm yourself looking at all the big things. Have you tried different forms of revision? I hope this helps a little
Study6076
Rep:
?
please someone I don;t know who else to ask for help from!!!
GCSE_Rockstar32
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
@lege-lego

1) You can only motivate yourself. Watch motivational videos on YouTube such as A Level Results Day Videos, or study with me's.
2)Use the answers you got wrong on the exam questions on put them into flashcards so you know the exact wording you need to gain the marks
3) Many people deal with this, but in order to overcome this maybe try and gradually start working or motivating yourself.

I presume you are in Year 12, so it is okay to not be as prepared as you want to be. Perhaps try doing some online courses on your desired course and watch YouTube videos of people who are in your chosen degree, e.g. watching doctors on YouTube and their vlogs to motivate you.

Good Luck
lege-lego
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi againnnn!!!! sorry I haven't been very active on TSR recently bc I have a lot of work to do so I didn't see your post earlier.

I wouldn't stress too much about the maths and chem tests you have coming up because the content is quite easy if I'm honest with you. Just memorise the equations (and definitions for chem), then do some pastpaper questions until you feel confident in answering them and you're good to go!

I do not want this to come out the wrong way or demotivate you or anything but I think you might be doing a bit too much all at once and overloading yourself. Instead of thinking about it as 'oh I have all this work from all these subjects how am I ever going to organise myself?' take more of a 'let me just focus on improving my chem grade then when I get there maintain it and start focusing on my next goal' mindset. Studying for everything as well as homework and supercurriculars all together can get distracting and confusing. Sometimes you just need to sacrafice something for more important things until you are capable of doing them both.

You still have quite a while before you apply to uni and all of summer vacation to think about this (however if you are applying for cambridge I recommend starting to study for the entrance exams or at least taking a look at the material that will be assessed so you have an idea of what's in it as soon as possible so that you don't panic when the time comes. but theres still time for that)

As for the assignment and note making just sit down remove distractions and do them, usually its just getting started that's the problem. If you get distracted easily maybe set an alarm for every 20 minutes or so to remind you to work. Try to work consistently even if its just a little everyday so you form the habit of getting things done.

Also agree with the comment above
Last edited by lege-lego; 1 month ago
lege-lego
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  16066809157137209117839428479815.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  152.4 KB
for future use, I also really recommend this book. It's been very helpful in guiding me to prepare for interviews. Just thought I would add this here after reading about your aspirations.
Samara1601
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
@lege-lego

Hey!
I am not an A-level student (I am currently year 11) but I hope that my tips that help me manage my time/note making help you
So for making notes, I make notes (typically flashcards as this helps me the most) every day of what I have learned that day in my subjects - that means that every day it is only a bit but it means notes don't build up. Another suggestion is buying ready made notes that satisfy the spec points for the exam board you are studying.
So about motivation - I personally prefer to study in the mornings but other people prefer later. I recommend starting early (around 8am) as you will feel a lot more motivated if you have achieved something by lunchtime. Allow yourself small breaks but do not make them too long as you might get distracted. Also, on days you REALLY don't feel like studying at all, DON'T. Allow yourself that rest .
I am only doing GCSE and I struggle to find time for extra-curriculars so I assume it gets harder when doing A-levels, but maybe set aside a small amount of time each week.
I hope some of this helps a bit! (Also random question but do you recommend A-level maths? I am thinking about choosing it but I am not sure if I will struggle too much.)
Granolakiddo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I'm in the exact same position as you, overloading myself with work I have got 9 assignments and I just did one essay (i had the whole day but I procrastinated) I am doing bio, chem, sociology and I also have mocks in January and haven't prepared yet. My life is a mess as well that i have to sort out tonight. *keep telling myself this is the last thread I should reply to*

So I made a checklist of everything but I wrote out exactly what the hell I was going to do e.g. Bio work changed to biology work water topic make notes and do some questions.
Flashcards for chem equations
Biology learn how to answer the question, not just the topic knowledge
Youtube works don't get distracted it's really hard lmao
take a breather I took a Wednesday off because I only had one period and tried to sort my life out *kinda worked*
REVISION TIMETABLE don't do it by TIME do this by TOPICS, write the topics on side of the page and choose which topics u want to do then after you finished the topics write the date and label it with a colour (red is don't understand, yellow, green)
Cornell noting (its a pain in the a**) but might work

Hope that kinda helps, now I've gotta finish my work
lege-lego
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Samara1601)
Hey!
I am not an A-level student (I am currently year 11) but I hope that my tips that help me manage my time/note making help you
So for making notes, I make notes (typically flashcards as this helps me the most) every day of what I have learned that day in my subjects - that means that every day it is only a bit but it means notes don't build up. Another suggestion is buying ready made notes that satisfy the spec points for the exam board you are studying.
So about motivation - I personally prefer to study in the mornings but other people prefer later. I recommend starting early (around 8am) as you will feel a lot more motivated if you have achieved something by lunchtime. Allow yourself small breaks but do not make them too long as you might get distracted. Also, on days you REALLY don't feel like studying at all, DON'T. Allow yourself that rest .
I am only doing GCSE and I struggle to find time for extra-curriculars so I assume it gets harder when doing A-levels, but maybe set aside a small amount of time each week.
I hope some of this helps a bit! (Also random question but do you recommend A-level maths? I am thinking about choosing it but I am not sure if I will struggle too much.)
About the A-level maths I think you should be asking yourself what you want to be doing after A-levels and if you will need maths in the future. Are you struggling with it now? If so are you willing to struggle with it further and put in the time and effort to get the grades you want?
Personally, I think Maths is a lot easier than my other subjects and not bad at all once you understand the concepts, but everyone is different and you should make the decision yourself.
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by lege-lego)
hi againnnn!!!! sorry I haven't been very active on TSR recently bc I have a lot of work to do so I didn't see your post earlier.

I wouldn't stress too much about the maths and chem tests you have coming up because the content is quite easy if I'm honest with you. Just memorise the equations (and definitions for chem), then do some pastpaper questions until you feel confident in answering them and you're good to go!

I do not want this to come out the wrong way or demotivate you or anything but I think you might be doing a bit too much all at once and overloading yourself. Instead of thinking about it as 'oh I have all this work from all these subjects how am I ever going to organise myself?' take more of a 'let me just focus on improving my chem grade then when I get there maintain it and start focusing on my next goal' mindset. Studying for everything as well as homework and supercurriculars all together can get distracting and confusing. Sometimes you just need to sacrafice something for more important things until you are capable of doing them both.

You still have quite a while before you apply to uni and all of summer vacation to think about this (however if you are applying for cambridge I recommend starting to study for the entrance exams or at least taking a look at the material that will be assessed so you have an idea of what's in it as soon as possible so that you don't panic when the time comes. but theres still time for that)

As for the assignment and note making just sit down remove distractions and do them, usually its just getting started that's the problem. If you get distracted easily maybe set an alarm for every 20 minutes or so to remind you to work. Try to work consistently even if its just a little everyday so you form the habit of getting things done.

Also agree with the comment above
Thank you so much, that is some really useful advice!!!
lege-lego
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much, that is some really useful advice!!!
no problem, glad I could help and surprised you still remember me haha
Samara1601
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
About the A-level maths I think you should be asking yourself what you want to be doing after A-levels and if you will need maths in the future. Are you struggling with it now? If so are you willing to struggle with it further and put in the time and effort to get the grades you want?
Personally, I think Maths is a lot easier than my other subjects and not bad at all once you understand the concepts, but everyone is different and you should make the decision yourself.
Thank you i want to take medicine and i am predicted an 8 for gcse maths and i am taking further maths as well, so I think I will continue it.
Study6076
Rep:
?
Name:  16066809157137209117839428479815.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  152.4 KB
for future use, I also really recommend this book. It's been very helpful in guiding me to prepare for interviews. Just thought I would add this here after reading about your aspirations.
thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads