Lecture slides, notes and organisation help!

Watch
fuchsiashock
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all.. I could use some advice about processing the sheer amount of information.
I'm in my first year of Zoology and can't work out how best to process all the information.

Last year ( on access course), I took random digital notes using Onenote by typing and copying text from the powerpoints.

This year I haven't really taken notes since every lecture has a powerpoint, I can't work out why to take notes really since the presentation is a summary of all the keypoints already.

My instinct is to copy and paste all the powerpoint information into a word document so I can organise with titles, but again, I'm not sure what the point would be since I can just read the powerpoints in my own time.

So far this term, I just make sure to re-read the lecture presentation after the lecture to go over the info. Things I don't understand, I obviously research.

I've tried using Google keep, word, onenote, powerpoint, google docs, but as far as I can tell, the important lecture parts ARE the powerpoint, so why not just keep the powerpoints?

I would welcome any advice or examples
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fuchsiashock)
Hi all.. I could use some advice about processing the sheer amount of information.
I'm in my first year of Zoology and can't work out how best to process all the information.

Last year ( on access course), I took random digital notes using Onenote by typing and copying text from the powerpoints.

This year I haven't really taken notes since every lecture has a powerpoint, I can't work out why to take notes really since the presentation is a summary of all the keypoints already.

My instinct is to copy and paste all the powerpoint information into a word document so I can organise with titles, but again, I'm not sure what the point would be since I can just read the powerpoints in my own time.

So far this term, I just make sure to re-read the lecture presentation after the lecture to go over the info. Things I don't understand, I obviously research.

I've tried using Google keep, word, onenote, powerpoint, google docs, but as far as I can tell, the important lecture parts ARE the powerpoint, so why not just keep the powerpoints?

Your approach seems perfectly sensible. I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the powerpoint slides as the basis for your notes. But I'd be surprised and disappointed if that was the only information a lecturer gave me.

So during the lecture, I'd be looking to scribble notes on any additional remarks, or answers to questions, that seemed relevant. When reading over the lecture later, I'd print out the PP (I can't revise from a screen) and write those notes on the PP printout in a more organised way. Does that makes sense?

As you know, the main danger with just collecting PPs is telling myself there's no need to read anything over, as it's all there and I'm sure to remember any additional info when revision time comes (but I never do ).
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mostly use the PowerPoint/pdf but I print them out and write on them the extra stuff the lecturer says. Star anything I wasn’t sure of to come back to (could be they mention an article and I should go and find it)
Works for me to have it like that. I prefer it printed out
fuchsiashock
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks. I have an urge to reformat the PowerPoints into a word document so it's indexed better but don't know if this is a waste of time. I'd prefer if all lectures were just based on a textbook and obviously textbooks are designed to give information in a concise way whereas lectures can wander but then textbooks can go into other areas which I don't need to cover!

Arg! I go around in circles

Maybe I need to accept that all methods are a bit messy and learning and revision is inherently laborious?
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey!

I thought you might find this blog post useful:
5 note-taking methods all students should know

Becky
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey fuchsiashock,

I'm in my third year of pharmacy and I can totally relate with not being able to understand how to write lecture notes. I found myself like this in the first year. First things first, I would try and check to see if your first-year grade impacts your final degree classification. If not, it can be nice to know so you can experiment with different methods of note-taking in this year and not have so much pressure.

I have a large volume of lectures to go through myself and a lot of content so personally, I like to type all of my lecture notes, with the exception of organic chemistry (because of all of the structures you have to draw). I basically will screenshot the lecture slide and post it into word. Then under, I will add extra points if the lecturer has said something important. I will then just print these out and make flashcards from them and revise from these.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
fuchsiashock
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks. My first year doesn't count, so yes, I'm trying a few different things.
My favourite so far I think is typing out the PowerPoint with my notes integrated into a word doc and formatting with headings.

The headings in Word are collapsible so I accidently found it's a good way to revise as you can hide sections and try to recall them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.95%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.9%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (161)
37.53%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.59%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise