jemimabrown11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
anyone doing philosophy / philosophy and theology at either please help!
got average gcses - kind of poor (4 9s, 2 8s, 2 7s, a 6, 5, and 4, don't ask about the last 3), doing english lit, maths, bio, and chem; medicine was the plan but I'm much more interested in philosophy.
I've been looking at whatdotheyknow and everyone seems to have Philosophy or RS a level - out of 18 offer holders I looked at only 5 didn't have either of these, for Cambridge.
Is it realistic, my chances, I really like the idea of philosophy and have bought books to read, currently on my first one, and also is everyone at a rough level playing field at interview or is a lot of it still about results? Because I know people vary academically and they do interview 80% of applicants.
also if anyone knows what college is good for Cambridge and not too hard to get into that would be helpful - not keen on Oxford due to greater emphasis on stellar GCSEs and the lack of an appealing option - not keen on theology really
Advertisement
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jemimabrown11)
got average gcses - kind of poor (4 9s, 2 8s, 2 7s, a 6, 5, and 4, don't ask about the last 3), doing english lit, maths, bio, and chem; medicine was the plan but I'm much more interested in philosophy.
I've been looking at whatdotheyknow and everyone seems to have Philosophy or RS a level - out of 18 offer holders I looked at only 5 didn't have either of these, for Cambridge.
Is it realistic, my chances, I really like the idea of philosophy and have bought books to read, currently on my first one, and also is everyone at a rough level playing field at interview or is a lot of it still about results? Because I know people vary academically and they do interview 80% of applicants.
also if anyone knows what college is good for Cambridge and not too hard to get into that would be helpful - not keen on Oxford due to greater emphasis on stellar GCSEs and the lack of an appealing option - not keen on theology really
Your GCSEs alone will not see you rejected.
Nobody here can predict your chances, it depends entirely on the other applicants.
Which college you apply to won't really make much difference, you can't "game" the system and the quality of the course at each college has negligible variation.

You're taking the right steps in choosing books to read and make sure to include your thoughts on these books in your personal statement.

I hope this helps, and best of luck.
Shout if you have any more questions.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jemimabrown11)
Ok... what were the success rates with and without though? All you've pointed out is who is in the majority - hardly meaningful.

... not keen on Oxford due to greater emphasis on stellar GCSEs
Doubt that is relevant. Its only really medicine that has had to lean really heavily into GCSEs. For other courses there is nothing to suggest they look for this.

The course is of course highly relevant though.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (33)
16.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
29.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (77)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.49%

Watched Threads