studentadvice123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
maths or government and politics?
psychology or sociology?

I’m now considering my a level subjects and i really don’t know what to do. I don’t really know what i wanna do in life so that doesn’t really help either. I definitely want to do economics and psychology or sociology (probably socio but alr familiar with psych) because i do psych now for GCSE and i’ve heard it’s quite easy but i don’t have a 3rd or 4th option. I ABSOLUTELY hate all 3 sciences and maths rn is just hard and it’s only gcse. I was thinking maybe doing politics or just sticking with maths as my 3rd then doing EPQ or CeFs but i’m not really good at writing and ive heard politics and sociology is very essay based and i’m not the best at essay writing. Also i’ve heard politics chttps://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=5502896an get a bit boring. People are telling me to do maths because it’s more open to other degrees but i just hate it but idk.

Anyone doing sociology, psychology, politics, CeFS, EPQ or maths tell me how it is? like the amount of work and if it’s really worth it.

(I take triple science, german, geography, business and psychology for GCSE if that helps.)
Chowderzzz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What I'd say is that if you're struggling with GCSE Maths, you may find A Level to be very difficult. However, with the right amount of work, I'd say it could still be manageable given how many free A Level Maths Resources are online. Would you mind saying what grade you're predicted for GCSE Maths?
Jaegis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by studentadvice123)
psychology or sociology?

I’m now considering my a level subjects and i really don’t know what to do. I don’t really know what i wanna do in life so that doesn’t really help either. I definitely want to do economics and psychology or sociology (probably socio but alr familiar with psych) because i do psych now for GCSE and i’ve heard it’s quite easy but i don’t have a 3rd or 4th option. I ABSOLUTELY hate all 3 sciences and maths rn is just hard and it’s only gcse. I was thinking maybe doing politics or just sticking with maths as my 3rd then doing EPQ or CeFs but i’m not really good at writing and ive heard politics and sociology is very essay based and i’m not the best at essay writing. Also i’ve heard politics can get a bit boring. People are telling me to do maths because it’s more open to other degrees but i just hate it but idk.

Anyone doing sociology, psychology, politics, CeFS, EPQ or maths tell me how it is? like the amount of work and if it’s really worth it.

(I take triple science, german, geography, business and psychology for GCSE if that helps.)
A lot of it depends on what you want to do for a degree, or as a future job, and also what your grades are now. Realistically to do maths a-level you should be getting a 7 right now, or it's going to be a very hard two years. And people are right, it is more open to other degrees, but if those degrees require maths, you likely wouldn't enjoy them.

The good thing about essay subjects is that, as you write more of them, you get better! I'm doing english lit, and even from just the start of this term, my essays have really improved already, just from writing so many of them. You get faster at them, as well, so the workload becomes less of an issue. If you absolutely can't stand writing essays, though, you should think very hard before signing up for two, if that's what you're thinking.

Also, for EPQ - the main issue I've found is finding time for it around my other subjects. Assuming you're motivated enough, it mostly just takes some time to work out a rough schedule each week and settle into it. If you love the topic you've chosen, though, it's amazing - I'm doing mine on treatments for epilepsy and working on it is the highlight of my week! From what you're saying, a topic around psychology or sociology would be right up your street.
studentadvice123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Chowderzzz)
What I'd say is that if you're struggling with GCSE Maths, you may find A Level to be very difficult. However, with the right amount of work, I'd say it could still be manageable given how many free A Level Maths Resources are online. Would you mind saying what grade you're predicted for GCSE Maths?
i’m predicted a 7 right now
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How to Choose your A levels subjects - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Chowderzzz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i’m predicted a 7 right now
Well if you end up with a 7, you may be okay but you'll need to put work in. I got an 8 (missed a 9 by 3 marks) for GCSE Maths and I struggled a decent bit with A Level Maths. But tbf I never really did the work so it's understandable

I'd recommend checking out Mathsgenie if you're gonna do A Level maths coz that helped quite a lot.
ben_golding12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
psychology or sociology?

I’m now considering my a level subjects and i really don’t know what to do. I don’t really know what i wanna do in life so that doesn’t really help either. I definitely want to do economics and psychology or sociology (probably socio but alr familiar with psych) because i do psych now for GCSE and i’ve heard it’s quite easy but i don’t have a 3rd or 4th option. I ABSOLUTELY hate all 3 sciences and maths rn is just hard and it’s only gcse. I was thinking maybe doing politics or just sticking with maths as my 3rd then doing EPQ or CeFs but i’m not really good at writing and ive heard politics and sociology is very essay based and i’m not the best at essay writing. Also i’ve heard politics can get a bit boring. People are telling me to do maths because it’s more open to other degrees but i just hate it but idk.

Both sociology and psychology link together pretty well, once you hack one essay technique for one subject, the other should "click". EPQ is good, I'm doing mine atm and the main problem I have found is that its more difficult if teachers don't respect your already large workload. I'm happy to answer any questions about those 3 subjects!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads