Month Fast

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to lose some weight because I gained about 15-20 during quarantine and I am a bit overweight now. I am a female, height 5'7, weight 160. Starting tomorrow I am going to be water/dry fasting for a month. I did research about it, I know all the dangers and cautions, etc. I am going to try to add in some exercising as well, on my bike and sit-ups. Though it really depends on my energy levels which will be low. I'm not looking to be judged or told why to not do this. I just want to know to those who have tried and done this before what your results were and if it was worth it. Thanks
Anonymous #1
Also if anyone knows any low impact work outs I could do during the fast.
Anonymous #1
Anyone?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given there's not a lot of research by professionals on the dry fasting, you can't have found much information yourself.

Why are you following an extreme fad instead of eating healthily in a calorie deficit?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
Given there's not a lot of research by professionals on the dry fasting, you can't have found much information yourself.

Why are you following an extreme fad instead of eating healthily in a calorie deficit?
Its going to be a water fast, I just mean some days I won't drink. Because I want to lose the weight now versus having to wait for a year+ to lose it.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Its going to be a water fast, I just mean some days I won't drink. Because I want to lose the weight now versus having to wait for a year+ to lose it.
You basically you want to lose weight quickly now and then gain it all back and then some afterwards.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI range?

A safe rate of weight loss is up to 2lbs a week; quick fixes aren't healthy or sustainable.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ramipril)
You basically you want to lose weight quickly now and then gain it all back and then some afterwards.
No after the fast I am going to eat very little and continue fasts but shorter versions. So, I won't gain the weight back.
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No after the fast I am going to eat very little and continue fasts but shorter versions. So, I won't gain the weight back.
There's a reason why most people who crash diet don't maintain the weight loss in the long term. They either binge or they go back to how they ate before. I highly doubt you will manage this fast to begin with, but essentially your long term plan is to undereat then?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I want to lose some weight because I gained about 15-20 during quarantine and I am a bit overweight now. I am a female, height 5'7, weight 160. Starting tomorrow I am going to be water/dry fasting for a month. I did research about it, I know all the dangers and cautions, etc. I am going to try to add in some exercising as well, on my bike and sit-ups. Though it really depends on my energy levels which will be low. I'm not looking to be judged or told why to not do this. I just want to know to those who have tried and done this before what your results were and if it was worth it. Thanks
Water fasts aren’t sustainable. The most this will last is 2 weeks - which in itself is HIGHLY unlikely. After which you would probably gain most, if not all of it back because during the water fast you are probably losing muscle mass and not actually fat. At the end of the day it’s up to you, but I suggest you research more efficient and healthier options that a) wouldn’t make you sick and are realistically longer lasting and b) WONT MAKE YOU SICK. Personally I’m against dieting altogether. It can lead you down unhealthy roads, both mentally and physically. It can lead to eating disorders which can lead to mental health problems. TRUST ME, I would know. How about just exercising, or going on walks?
Anonymous #1
There's a reason why most people who crash diet don't maintain the weight loss in the long term. They either binge or they go back to how they ate before. I highly doubt you will manage this fast to begin with, but essentially your long term plan is to undereat then?
I have fasted before for shorter periods of time though, I have gotten my body used to the process, so I'll be fine. I have already fasted for a week before, for different reasons. Yes, until I get to my ideal weight, and then I will start a healthy diet and regular exercise to maintain my body/weight.
Anonymous #1
How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI range?

A safe rate of weight loss is up to 2lbs a week; quick fixes aren't healthy or sustainable.
About 20 lbs.
Anonymous #1
Water fasts aren’t sustainable. The most this will last is 2 weeks - which in itself is HIGHLY unlikely. After which you would probably gain most, if not all of it back because during the water fast you are probably losing muscle mass and not actually fat. At the end of the day it’s up to you, but I suggest you research more efficient and healthier options that a) wouldn’t make you sick and are realistically longer lasting and b) WONT MAKE YOU SICK. Personally I’m against dieting altogether. It can lead you down unhealthy roads, both mentally and physically. It can lead to eating disorders which can lead to mental health problems. TRUST ME, I would know. How about just exercising, or going on walks?
Your saying I won't be able to do it? I will be exersizing.
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have fasted before for shorter periods of time though, I have gotten my body used to the process, so I'll be fine. I have already fasted for a week before, for different reasons. Yes, until I get to my ideal weight, and then I will start a healthy diet and regular exercise to maintain my body/weight.
What exactly is wrong with losing weight in a slow and sustainable way? You may have 'fasted' before, but a month is a long time, you'll initially lose water weight, you may end up binging, and the minute you start eating a 'healthy diet' again, you could put it all back on. Slow and steady wins the race. Crash dieting in the hope that you will be part of the very small minority who don't gain the weight back is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Anonymous #1
What exactly is wrong with losing weight in a slow and sustainable way? You may have 'fasted' before, but a month is a long time, you'll initially lose water weight, you may end up binging, and the minute you start eating a 'healthy diet' again, you could put it all back on. Slow and steady wins the race. Crash dieting in the hope that you will be part of the very small minority who don't gain the weight back is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Nothing is wrong with it, its just not for me. I want this excess weight gone. I appreciate the advice, but if you read my initial post I said I wanted to hear from people who've done a fast before and their experience. Or low impact work outs.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your saying I won't be able to do it? I will be exersizing.
Also if anyone knows any low impact work outs I could do during the fast.
You don't even know what exercises to do!

Did your research include going to your doctor and asking their opinion on you losing weight quickly by eating badly and dehydrating, then keep it off by still not eating properly?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I’ve fasted for religious reasons - 20hrs ish of no food or water. I still fast a few times a week. Then only eating 2 meals - be very careful not to overcompensate when you eat (very easily done). So long as you don’t go crazy, I think you’ll automatically put yourself in a caloric deficit. An hour before I ate, I would do an intense workout (lifting weights, abs etc) I didn’t lose any muscle mass (as a lot of ppl claim). Also, I have a friend who was doing cardio whilst fasting - THE RESULTS R CRAZY. He looks like a completely different person cuz he lost so much fat. But remember this depends on so many things like metabolism, so won’t necessarily work for everyone.

The main purpose for me was learning self-restraint and once you build that you’ll get in the habit of only eating how much you need. Just be careful that you don’t harm yourself. Hope it helps.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing is wrong with it, its just not for me. I want this excess weight gone. I appreciate the advice, but if you read my initial post I said I wanted to hear from people who've done a fast before and their experience. Or low impact work outs.
But you must have known you'd get told that what you are proposing isn't healthy; when you talk about extreme dieting and say "don't judge me" you know it's because you will get judged for it being a bad idea.
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure TSR is the best place for this. Try websites which are more dedicated to this kind of thing.
Anonymous #1
You don't even know what exercises to do!

Did your research include going to your doctor and asking their opinion on you losing weight quickly by eating badly and dehydrating, then keep it off by still not eating properly?
I do, but I wanted to see if anyone could recommend any others.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.6%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (33)
24.09%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (60)
43.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
14.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.92%

Watched Threads