Im desperate to change my Cambridge College?! HELP?!?!? Is it possible???

Watch
elephant3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is completely my fault. I was talking to a family member who convinced me i wasn't good enough to apply to Claire College for Medicine which I really really wanted to go to. I opted for a smaller college thinking I probably would flop the admissions test anyway and get rejected from Cambridge regardless of the college and in the end it wouldn't matter. By some fluke, i did really well and now am so upset as I could've actually had a shot and I know it is unlikely but is there ANY WAY I can change my college now...? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
minimouse122
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all, congratulations on securing a place at Cambridge. Secondly, how much of an effect do you think that your college will have on your degree and time at Cambridge. It is possible that they ask you your reasons for why you want to change colleges and I think that you would need to find a better reason for how Claire College will be more beneficial for your learning and student experience.
elephant3
Rep:
?
(Original post by minimouse122)
First of all, congratulations on securing a place at Cambridge. Secondly, how much of an effect do you think that your college will have on your degree and time at Cambridge. It is possible that they ask you your reasons for why you want to change colleges and I think that you would need to find a better reason for how Claire College will be more beneficial for your learning and student experience.
The family member a spoke to went to Cambridge a couple years ago. They mentioned that your College really does matter and that it's where most of your closest friends will come from. They also generally believe that they are better than me... so I was stupid to believe the whole 'you'll never get into Clare thing'. Other than the fact this is causing me massive anxiety (over-dramatic, i know), I don't really have a valid reason to change and I can imagine that even if I managed to get a transfer out of my College, I wouldn't be allowed to choose to transfer to Clare... I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the process, had gone through it or had any advice?
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't imagine that it would be possible to change college choice now.

What college did you end up applying to?
dking2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you get an offer I am sure you will love whichever college you attend. Don't forget even if you had applied to Clare you could be pooled elsewhere. Also getting into one college does not make you any better than getting into any other college.

Finally I am sure you are aware that there is some major building work going on at Clare over the next 4-5 years.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would also note that your particular college is maybe even less important for medicine than other subjects, since a) as with most STEM subjects the majority of teaching will be out of college and arranged by the department anyway and b) for the clinical years of the course you will be going on placements around East Anglia and Essex, so won't be "in" college for a reasonable amount of that time anyway, as I understand it.

Additionally medicine is quite "cohort oriented" so you're likely to be making friends with medics across the colleges, and less likely to be more tied socially to your own college. This is not something you would be hugely tied to anyway, except by choice or convenience, just the nature of the medicine course means it's even less of a factor since you will necessarily be spending a lot of time outside of college, among medics from all colleges.

Ultimately your choice of college is really not that important, certainly not enough to be feeling any anxiety over whatsoever, and as above you may end up getting pooled to another college anyway. Your academic experience is going to be the same no matter which college you are in, you may well end up with some supervisions at Clare anyway, and you almost certainly will end up making friends with people at Clare and probably visiting them in college anyway. You're blowing this way out of proportion, really.
elephant3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
I can't imagine that it would be possible to change college choice now.

What college did you end up applying to?
Trinity hall which is lovely I’m just annoyed at myself for letting myself self get dissuaded from applying to the college I really wanted to go to.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elephant3)
Trinity hall which is lovely I’m just annoyed at myself for letting myself self get dissuaded from applying to the college I really wanted to go to.
I suppose I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's worth dwelling on.

Trinity Hall and Clare are pretty similar colleges anyway, I'd say.

I would say your family member is right in that college choice does affect your experience. Certainly for pre-clinical medicine, I would imagine most of your friends will come from your college (not necessarily the case for the clinical years). But you may well end up loving Trinity Hall. No guarantee that you would have preferred Clare.
Last edited by Chief Wiggum; 1 month ago
elephant3
Rep:
?
I suppose I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's worth dwelling on.

Trinity Hall and Clare are pretty similar colleges anyway, I'd say.
Do you think it’s worth contacting the university and asking in case or do you reckon I’d just look like a brat and should just leave it and be grateful?
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think it’s worth contacting the university and asking in case or do you reckon I’d just look like a brat and should just leave it and be grateful?
In my personal opinion, I would leave it.

I'm out of date now with admissions timelines etc, but I imagine the colleges will already have been reviewing the applications etc?
elephant3
Rep:
?
In my personal opinion, I would leave it.

I'm out of date now with admissions timelines etc, but I imagine the colleges will already have been reviewing the applications etc?
Yeah I got an interview yesterday but I know that Clare hasn't sent theirs out yet...
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I got an interview yesterday but I know that Clare hasn't sent theirs out yet...
Yeah I'd definitely leave it then, lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.7%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.95%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (158)
37.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.11%

Watched Threads