Feeling weaker and muscle weakness in anorexia even though I am eating more

Watch
Startshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why am i struggling to walk up the stairs when i am eating more? Like when I was eating less, I was able to walk better but ever since I’ve been trying to increase, all my muscles feel weaker and I’m struggling to walk and walk up the stairs more. I don’t understand I’m honestly eating more. Please someone help and reply as I’m stressed and scared. I also feel more exhausted.

Thank you
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to exercise more to stimulate your muscles to grow. Eating alone won’t solve that problem.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gently increase your exercise. You need to build back the muscle and strength you lost. Also, whate exactly are you eating now?
Angela1001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Startshine)
Why am i struggling to walk up the stairs when i am eating more? Like when I was eating less, I was able to walk better but ever since I’ve been trying to increase, all my muscles feel weaker and I’m struggling to walk and walk up the stairs more. I don’t understand I’m honestly eating more. Please someone help and reply as I’m stressed and scared. I also feel more exhausted.

Thank you
Because when you were eating less, your body was utilising your muscles to provide nourishment. The nutrition you are putting in now needs to be high in protein and calories to rebuild the muscles. You could also be anaemic so don't have enough oxygen going round your body.
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You need to exercise more to stimulate your muscles to grow. Eating alone won’t solve that problem.
But I’m recovery from anorexia so exercise isn’t really a good option and I physically can’t? X
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ramipril)
Gently increase your exercise. You need to build back the muscle and strength you lost. Also, whate exactly are you eating now?
But I’m anorexic and not suppose to exercise (I’ve been working on decreasing my steps.) I’m eating just under 850-900 calories x
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angela1001)
Because when you were eating less, your body was utilising your muscles to provide nourishment. The nutrition you are putting in now needs to be high in protein and calories to rebuild the muscles. You could also be anaemic so don't have enough oxygen going round your body.
I’m trying to have more protein and I have more high protein yogurts. Do you think my iron could also be low? Thank you for your advice. Should I be worried? Xx
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you
I replied to you in the Health forum; get professional medical help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...790&highlight=
hobba
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But I’m anorexic and not suppose to exercise (I’ve been working on decreasing my steps.) I’m eating just under 850-900 calories x
That's bad. Really you need to see a psychiatrist, not a psychologist, but a psychiatrist. They are a medical doctor and can investigate any underlying medical conditions. It happened to a friend of mine who was dreadfully weak and tired. He was sent to a psychologist but it was an abject failure. Then he saw a psychiatrist and he discovered two things medically wrong - dangerously low testosterone and sleep-apnea. Since Anorexia mostly affects females, it is unlikely you will be having testosterone problems - but there are many other things that can cause it eg low iron and autoimmune diseases. They all need to be checked out. BTW not only did it happen to my friend it happened to me - my doctor and a psychiatrist got to the bottom of it - I had an autoimmune disease - psoriatic arthritis.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But I’m recovery from anorexia so exercise isn’t really a good option and I physically can’t? X
I think you should really get some medical help then. They can advise you on what to do whilst also not compromising your recovery. I hope things work out for you :console:
Angela1001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make sure you are eating the correct muscle building food. Email [email protected] org.uk and they will advise you. Good luck and well done for being in recovery. https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....ices/helplines
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by hobba)
That's bad. Really you need to see a psychiatrist, not a psychologist, but a psychiatrist. They are a medical doctor and can investigate any underlying medical conditions. It happened to a friend of mine who was dreadfully weak and tired. He was sent to a psychologist but it was an abject failure. Then he saw a psychiatrist and he discovered two things medically wrong - dangerously low testosterone and sleep-apnea. Since Anorexia mostly affects females, it is unlikely you will be having testosterone problems - but there are many other things that can cause it eg low iron and autoimmune diseases. They all need to be checked out. BTW not only did it happen to my friend it happened to me - my doctor and a psychiatrist got to the bottom of it - I had an autoimmune disease - psoriatic arthritis.
I have been suffering from anorexia for 6 years. It’s not news to me. I’ve been inpatient twice but relapsed badly this time. I’m under a surface abs have a psychiatrist and a whole team and I have my bloods on Friday so I’ll see what they come back as. Thank you for your help and concern though xx
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
I replied to you in the Health forum; get professional medical help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...790&highlight=
Thanks x
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I think you should really get some medical help then. They can advise you on what to do whilst also not compromising your recovery. I hope things work out for you :console:
Thank you for your help and concern. Yeah, I will xx
Startshine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angela1001)
Make sure you are eating the correct muscle building food. Email [email protected] org.uk and they will advise you. Good luck and well done for being in recovery. https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....ices/helplines
Thank you for your help and concern xx
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I have been suffering from anorexia for 6 years. It’s not news to me. I’ve been inpatient twice but relapsed badly this time. I’m under a surface abs have a psychiatrist and a whole team and I have my bloods on Friday so I’ll see what they come back as. Thank you for your help and concern though xx
As someone who was an inpatient twice in the past as well, I experienced very similar symptoms once I started recovering weight. I haven't been an inpatient for around 3 years now, but over the past few months its been getting more difficult.
It's sometimes difficult to say which symptoms are physical and which symptoms are manifestations of psychological issues.
I hope you get better soon though, you can do it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (212)
56.68%
I don't have everything I need (162)
43.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed