ronitmehra2003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have already submitted my UCAS application but I have one vacancy. I am deciding between King's mathematics with management and finance, Durham economics and mathematics and Bristol economics and mathematics.

Which of these give offers the quickest and will be a good safety school? Thanks!
megascream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Finance is very different from Economics, so the first step is to decide what subject you want to study. I believe pure Finance (more vocation focused) is slightly more favored than economics (more academics focused) in IB alone, but management would be slightly off than both.

If the course is offered by the mathematics department in KCL you will be mostly in a quite ugly Strand Building (except that they relocate the department with KBS in Bush House). The building does matter because that's the most stupid and maze-like building I ever see. On the other hand, a few years ago Durham's economics department was still in Stockton with a bad rep. Now it's in a nice place. I don't know how it has improved these years after moving to Durham, but the impression of it's Stockton period still exist. Not sure about Bristol but it's a decent place.

Quickest offers are hard to guess. None of these are particularly known for being too quick.

They are all safe enough physically. Meanwhile, they all have a good amounts of push students that may make you feel uncomfortable. In this scope, KCL might do better than the other two, which famously attract these sorts of stereotypes.
ronitmehra2003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by megascream)
Finance is very different from Economics, so the first step is to decide what subject you want to study. I believe pure Finance (more vocation focused) is slightly more favored than economics (more academics focused) in IB alone, but management would be slightly off than both.

If the course is offered by the mathematics department in KCL you will be mostly in a quite ugly Strand Building (except that they relocate the department with KBS in Bush House). The building does matter because that's the most stupid and maze-like building I ever see. On the other hand, a few years ago Durham's economics department was still in Stockton with a bad rep. Now it's in a nice place. I don't know how it has improved these years after moving to Durham, but the impression of it's Stockton period still exist. Not sure about Bristol but it's a decent place.

Quickest offers are hard to guess. None of these are particularly known for being too quick.

They are all safe enough physically. Meanwhile, they all have a good amounts of push students that may make you feel uncomfortable. In this scope, KCL might do better than the other two, which famously attract these sorts of stereotypes.
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards Kings just because of their course structure, location and relatively low requirements(I am an IB applicant) and I see myself going there if I get rejected by my top 4 choices (Imperial, Warwick, UCL, LSE).
megascream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ronitmehra2003)
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards Kings just because of their course structure, location and relatively low requirements(I am an IB applicant) and I see myself going there if I get rejected by my top 4 choices (Imperial, Warwick, UCL, LSE).
Yeah this is reasonable! KCL does have the advantage in IB due to in London and also averagely easier to get into as a backup plan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (13)
11.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (27)
24.32%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (48)
43.24%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (19)
17.12%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.6%

Watched Threads