Haakthar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve made a start on my essay but I’m not sure if I’m on track or not 🤔

Be able to interpret mathematical situations in academic subjects

1.1 Explain the role of models in representing mathematical situations

1.1 The student should write a brief essay in which they explain the role of models in representing mathematical situations in academic subjects.
Word count: 200 minimum.

In Physics, Mathematic models can be used to calculate speed. Speed is the measure of the distance an object travels at a certain time. In order to calculate speed we need to know the distance and the time. For example we want to know if a Mercedes or a BMW drives faster. We will use the following formula to calculate speed (speed= distance/time). In order to calculate the speed we need to know how far they travelled and how long it took them to cover that distance
hustlr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haakthar)
I’ve made a start on my essay but I’m not sure if I’m on track or not 🤔

Be able to interpret mathematical situations in academic subjects

1.1 Explain the role of models in representing mathematical situations

1.1 The student should write a brief essay in which they explain the role of models in representing mathematical situations in academic subjects.
Word count: 200 minimum.

In Physics, Mathematic models can be used to calculate speed. Speed is the measure of the distance an object travels at a certain time. In order to calculate speed we need to know the distance and the time. For example we want to know if a Mercedes or a BMW drives faster. We will use the following formula to calculate speed (speed= distance/time). In order to calculate the speed we need to know how far they travelled and how long it took them to cover that distance
Physics is quite a limited and overused example to use in this sort of question. I think you should speak about the need for mathematical modelling in social sciences in subjects like economics or even sociology or politics. These particular models need to make assumptions about human behaviour because it is impossible to absolutely say what someone will do due to free will.

If you want to be critical, do a comparison between modelling in natural sciences (physics bio chem) with social sciences
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.61%
I don't have everything I need (89)
37.39%

Watched Threads