Yusufjq14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need help as i am not too sure where to start.
I finished my GCSE studies in 2015 and after I finished I went to do an apprenticeship in IT and out of it only gained level 2 and one level 3 qualifications after 2 years.

My GCSE weren't as great, passed my ICT,Electronics and Buisneds studies but core studies I got a D on all of them

I want to get into a University to do computer science as i have been working in the IT Industry for over 3 years with tons of experience i just don't know where to start to get back into it all as none of my qualifications account to any UCAS Points.

Can anyone help and give me some advice on where I should start to.

P.S in my Apprenticeship it was a Level 3 Infrastructure course and I completed Functional Skills and Passed for both Maths and English
Lostrider
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you had a look at some university's entrance requirements? this may be a good place to start to get a better idea of whether you need to do a-levels or a btec. You can also find some university's you like the sound of and drop their undergraduate teams an email about whether they will accept your qualifications.
If you do decide to do a-levels or a btec, you can also resit your English and maths gcses alongside that so you're not spending an additional year getting your gcses.

Hope this helps
Yusufjq14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

Yes I was looking to get into a Computer Science course in De Montfort, I believe 118 UCAS Points.

I'm falling more towards doing A Levels I just cant seem to find a place that allows adult learners, and from doing research it seems that I need to have at least a C in English and Maths to do A levels and all I have are Functional Skills for both English and Maths at level 2, I'm starting to feel like it's kinda a lost cause for me now as there might just be way too much catching up to do. All I have are 2 C's 1 B and English and Maths Grade E and Science Grade D, And Both English and Maths FS Level 2.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yusufjq14)
Hi,

Yes I was looking to get into a Computer Science course in De Montfort, I believe 118 UCAS Points.

I'm falling more towards doing A Levels I just cant seem to find a place that allows adult learners, and from doing research it seems that I need to have at least a C in English and Maths to do A levels and all I have are Functional Skills for both English and Maths at level 2, I'm starting to feel like it's kinda a lost cause for me now as there might just be way too much catching up to do. All I have are 2 C's 1 B and English and Maths Grade E and Science Grade D, And Both English and Maths FS Level 2.
I would contact the Admissions team at De Montfort for advice. They are sometimes more lenient with older applicants who have relevant work experience. If they can't admit you in September they may advise you to do an Access course at your local college instead.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities like mature students - people like you are highly motivated to succeed and make great students.

There are Foundation courses that may be appropriate here - a one year course that allows you to progress to the full degree, or you could look at Access to HE courses at a local college - a one year Level 3 course that the majority of Uni are very willing to accept.

This Foundation course needs 72 UCAS points https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/G40F/compu...oundation-year - BUT its worth contacting the Uni to see of they would accept the qualifications and experience you have. Mature Students are usually considered on a case-by-case basis, so they may ask you to apply before they will make a decision - but its worth that isnt it? There are lots of Foundation courses and they will all have different entry requirements. Find the ones you like the look of and email the Unis.

If they say No, then this is the next option - again there are lots of these courses available at colleges all over the country : https://www.conel.ac.uk/course-detai...diploma/12798/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (64)
17.49%
No one else does (118)
32.24%
I'm embarrassed about my background (38)
10.38%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (125)
34.15%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.64%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.19%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.91%

Watched Threads