The Student Room Group

a level choices

hey! i’m currently in year 11 and i’m about to apply for college so i just wanted to hear from A-level students.
i was thinking of choosing:
- biology or psychology
- law
- philosophy
(maybe maths instead of law i’m not too sure)

i don’t know whether i want to do maths because i honestly enjoy it, i’m not the smartest (maybe a little above average).
I’m not sure about what i want to be in the future. a therapist maybe? idk.

it’d be interesting to hear from a-level students though. :smile:
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by chryssucks
hey! i’m currently in year 11 and i’m about to apply for college so i just wanted to hear from A-level students.
- biology or psychology
- law
- philosophy

i don’t know whether i want to do maths because i honestly enjoy it, i’m not the smartest (maybe a little above average).

thanks

I only do biology out of all of these and it's definitely ten times harder than GCSE so only do it if you enjoy it and not only if you were good at GCSE. The mark scheme is awfully specific and there is a lot of content but if you enjoy it and have motivation to do well you can definitely do it. In terms of ease, I'd say Law is also a lot easier than Maths but that's personal for everyone and this is just based on what friends have told me
Hey,I do psychology and I really enjoy it.There is a lot of content though so if you dont have a good memory then I don’t really recommend it.I did maths in first year and i got a 7 in my GCSEs.I dropped it after first year as it was too hard and i felt unmotivated to carry it on so I don’t really recommend maths as even people who got 9’s find maths a level hard but if you’re willing to put the work in then choose it.
- biology or psychology
- law
- philosophy

thanks

I’d say maths, biology and psychology would be an amazing 3 A levels to take!!! When you study psychology at uni there will be a lot of maths needed I think, especially for experiments and things! Biology and psychology are linked and it’s a hard science so most unis will favour you over other applicants because u have jt!!! When it comes to maths if you enjoy it you should be fine, just make sure u practise it a lot and you should be fine!!!
Original post by A.B72
I only do biology out of all of these and it's definitely ten times harder than GCSE so only do it if you enjoy it and not only if you were good at GCSE. The mark scheme is awfully specific and there is a lot of content but if you enjoy it and have motivation to do well you can definitely do it. In terms of ease, I'd say Law is also a lot easier than Maths but that's personal for everyone and this is just based on what friends have told me

oh okay! if you dont mind me asking what are the key areas you study in A-Level biology?
Original post by Wertgyhuj
Hey,I do psychology and I really enjoy it.There is a lot of content though so if you dont have a good memory then I don’t really recommend it.I did maths in first year and i got a 7 in my GCSEs.I dropped it after first year as it was too hard and i felt unmotivated to carry it on so I don’t really recommend maths as even people who got 9’s find maths a level hard but if you’re willing to put the work in then choose it.

yeah, I was really struggling about whether i should take maths or not! My memory isn’t the greatest lol but psychology seems very interesting
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
I’d say maths, biology and psychology would be an amazing 3 A levels to take!!! When you study psychology at uni there will be a lot of maths needed I think, especially for experiments and things! Biology and psychology are linked and it’s a hard science so most unis will favour you over other applicants because u have jt!!! When it comes to maths if you enjoy it you should be fine, just make sure u practise it a lot and you should be fine!!!

oh okay! i’m just curious about the heavy work load, i’m kinda leaning towards psychology at the moment. i think i’d like to take philosophy purely because i have a big interest in it. maybe psychology, maths and philosophy 😳
Reply 7
oh okay! if you dont mind me asking what are the key areas you study in A-Level biology?

no problem! There are three main units and you do a test for each one. Core concepts are what you're assessed on in every paper and is mainly GCSE stuff with added knowledge (DNA, enzymes, animal and plant cells etc) The first unit has the most new material in it as you go into ALOT of depth about photosynthesis and respiration. The second unit is mainly mitosis etc A lot of new content- hard to remember but not to understand. And the last unit is a lot of elaboration on GCSE content (circulatory system, homeostasis, gas exchange, the nervous system). In the last unit there is also a small bit you go into in more detail which you won't have done before- your school picks this, my school picked human anatomy and the musculoskeletal system.
Reply 8
Original post by A.B72
no problem! There are three main units and you do a test for each one. Core concepts are what you're assessed on in every paper and is mainly GCSE stuff with added knowledge (DNA, enzymes, animal and plant cells etc) The first unit has the most new material in it as you go into ALOT of depth about photosynthesis and respiration. The second unit is mainly mitosis etc A lot of new content- hard to remember but not to understand. And the last unit is a lot of elaboration on GCSE content (circulatory system, homeostasis, gas exchange, the nervous system). In the last unit there is also a small bit you go into in more detail which you won't have done before- your school picks this, my school picked human anatomy and the musculoskeletal system.

Omg i'm so sorry I didn't include this but btw this is just the eduqas spec. key points and topics are generally the same, but the exact units and the bit at the very end may differ. hope this helps!
Original post by A.B72

oh wow! i feel like i’ll enjoy doing biology ha

I agree.
Those 3 subjects sound good.
oh okay! i’m just curious about the heavy work load, i’m kinda leaning towards psychology at the moment. i think i’d like to take philosophy purely because i have a big interest in it. maybe psychology, maths and philosophy 😳

I think the biggest work load youd get is definitely from biology. Maybe you can substitute it with another science? If you’re planning for the top unis I’d suggest definitely doing a hard science if not I wouldn’t worry about it, other unis don’t see to care that much!!!
I think the biggest work load youd get is definitely from biology. Maybe you can substitute it with another science? If you’re planning for the top unis I’d suggest definitely doing a hard science if not I wouldn’t worry about it, other unis don’t see to care that much!!!

okay! thank you :smile:)

How are you getting on with psychology? I do an online course and I’m struggling so much that I’ve got myself really behind. I really wanted to enjoy it but doing it online was the worst decision for me
Original post by LibbyJoy
How are you getting on with psychology? I do an online course and I’m struggling so much that I’ve got myself really behind. I really wanted to enjoy it but doing it online was the worst decision for me

I really enjoy and I don’t find it too hard atm but that may be became I’m not doing it online.Are you doing psychology aqa alevel?
I really enjoy and I don’t find it too hard atm but that may be became I’m not doing it online.Are you doing psychology aqa alevel?

Yeah it’s aqa it’s just strange I expected a lot more help then what’s given. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone out it that way. Hopefully I can get through it and begin enjoying it more

Quick Reply

Latest