leena2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!! Im currently in yr12 taking bio, psychology and sociology. I take notes from my textbook but honestly it just feels like im copying the textbook and it takes soo long and is soo draining. I just wanted to know if it is pointless of me taking these notes and if I'm better off doing practise questions regularly.
Thank You
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Long, drawn out notes are a waste of time for certain.

Instead, try bullet pointing them, so a paragraph ends up being 3 or 4 bullet points of the major information.

This is great because you end up having to connect the dots to understand what the points mean as a whole, so you’re actively learning when reading over your notes.
LouismmmmB
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leena2004)
Hi!! Im currently in yr12 taking bio, psychology and sociology. I take notes from my textbook but honestly it just feels like im copying the textbook and it takes soo long and is soo draining. I just wanted to know if it is pointless of me taking these notes and if I'm better off doing practise questions regularly.
Thank You
If it helps you then do it but if not don’t. What I did aside from taking notes in class, was notate the textbook, having side notes everywhere where I wld rephrase the points in simpler terms. Ur in yr12 so u have plenty of time to experiment with different techniques
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you’re just copying them out then yes, they’re pointless. Bit of a waste of time and they’re just going to drain you.

You need to read through the information and put it into an easily digestible format. Make it short and easy. Your notes are meant to be a condensed form of the source you’re using. Write them in your own words because it’s the process of doing so that helps you understand what you’re writing.

If you want any psychology-specific advice I’ll leave a link to a thread I did on exam and revision technique.
leena2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
Long, drawn out notes are a waste of time for certain.

Instead, try bullet pointing them, so a paragraph ends up being 3 or 4 bullet points of the major information.

This is great because you end up having to connect the dots to understand what the points mean as a whole, so you’re actively learning when reading over your notes.
thats a great idea actually, thank you!
leena2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by LouismmmmB)
If it helps you then do it but if not don’t. What I did aside from taking notes in class, was notate the textbook, having side notes everywhere where I wld rephrase the points in simpler terms. Ur in yr12 so u have plenty of time to experiment with different techniques
yeah i think ill just quit making notes as a whole and just use the textbook to revise and do more practise questions, thank you!!
leena2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
If you’re just copying them out then yes, they’re pointless. Bit of a waste of time and they’re just going to drain you.

You need to read through the information and put it into an easily digestible format. Make it short and easy. Your notes are meant to be a condensed form of the source you’re using. Write them in your own words because it’s the process of doing so that helps you understand what you’re writing.

If you want any psychology-specific advice I’ll leave a link to a thread I did on exam and revision technique.
omg tysm!! yeah im just gonna revise from the textbook and make condensed flashcards maybe, and please do leave the link!! also do you know where i would find exam questions for a level OCR psychology?
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leena2004)
omg tysm!! yeah im just gonna revise from the textbook and make condensed flashcards maybe, and please do leave the link!! also do you know where i would find exam questions for a level OCR psychology?
I think that would work well. With flashcards though I’d say be careful as you want it for quick recall, so I wouldn’t do more than a sentence on each really. That’s just me though.

The link for my thread is here but it’s focused on AQA. OCR will probably have past papers on their website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads