Is it normal to fall behind at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is a bit of a strange question but I'm just wondering if it's normal/common to have not completed all of the week's work by the end of the week? Sometimes it gets to Friday and I haven't started work for 1 or 2 of my modules because I've been so caught up with/have prioritised other work. When this happens, I get really anxious and emotional, I feel so overwhelmed by the thought of being behind that I often cry and feel panicky. I'm in first year so still trying to get my bearings. Is it normal to be slightly behind or should I have the majority of my work done by the end of the week?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is a bit of a strange question but I'm just wondering if it's normal/common to have not completed all of the week's work by the end of the week? Sometimes it gets to Friday and I haven't started work for 1 or 2 of my modules because I've been so caught up with/have prioritised other work. When this happens, I get really anxious and emotional, I feel so overwhelmed by the thought of being behind that I often cry and feel panicky. I'm in first year so still trying to get my bearings. Is it normal to be slightly behind or should I have the majority of my work done by the end of the week?
Depends which uni, cant ever remember crying over work, maybe can remember being in a panic and stressed to hit deadlines.
Most unis have support services for students struggling to cope with self study. See what your uni and department offer.
Key is good organisation, time management and making sure you stay on top by doing a proportional amount each day.

First year is about finding your feet. Maybe you are wasting time, not using enough or just worrying so much over work you spend too much time on one piece at the expense of others?

Just use your time between lectures, be consistent, chill and set yourself targets each day. Unless you are somewhere like Oxbridge then you really shouldnt be overhwlemed with work, so if you have 6h for a piece just be organised. Research , plan- first draft, second draft.

Dont cry, learn some relaxation techniques. You can sort it out.
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Manage your time better.

Change your priorities.

Tears don't hep their just a waste of time and tissue.

Talk to other students and your personal tutor.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very normal, especially in your first few weeks and months of first year. It's about learning how to manage your time better and to prioritise different work over others (e.g. larger assignments or those due in sooner are a greater priority). You will get better at this with time. It's easier said than done by try not to get too panicked as this can lose you time - instead, stay calm and think about what you need to do. Creating a to-do list might help you as you can tick things off when you've done them which might help you feel better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.6%

Watched Threads