English Inspector Calls Eric Birling Help

Watch
KeamenJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, here is what I have written for my first paragraph. Does anyone have any feedback? Feed back would be much appreciated.

How does Priestley establish and develop the character of Eric Birling using language, form and structure?

In An Inspector Calls, J.B. Priestley uses language to describe Eric Birling as an irresponsible and alcoholic young man very effectively. Throughout the start of the play, there are a couple of parts where Eric ‘suddenly guffaws’ for no apparent reason, making the readers slightly confused and suspicious of him. The thought is confirmed where after the inspector comes in, Eric shows how ‘used to heavy drinking’ he is, by handling the decanter and swigging the alcohol with ease. Later in the play, it is also revealed that Eric raped Eva Smith and had to take care of her child. He also had to steal money from his father’s business to take care of the baby. If any word of this came out, Eric knew that he would face massive consequences as it was a totally irresponsible thing for Eric to do, as his family’s reputation would be ruined. This is probably another reason why Eric drinks a lot, and he even has the audacity to ask for a drink in front of his parents once the news of his doings have come out. Eric says, ‘I was in a state when a chap easily turns nasty’, showing that he is used to getting drunk. This also tells us that Eric Birling is also a violent alcoholic, as he ‘turns nasty’ and rapes Eva Smith as his mind was under the influence of lots of alcohol. The reader gets a negative impression of Eric, as he/she now knows that Eric is not really as innocent as he seems at the start.
Samira Miah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KeamenJ)
Hi guys, here is what I have written for my first paragraph. Does anyone have any feedback? Feed back would be much appreciated.

How does Priestley establish and develop the character of Eric Birling using language, form and structure?

In An Inspector Calls, J.B. Priestley uses language to describe Eric Birling as an irresponsible and alcoholic young man very effectively. Throughout the start of the play, there are a couple of parts where Eric ‘suddenly guffaws’ for no apparent reason, making the readers slightly confused and suspicious of him. The thought is confirmed where after the inspector comes in, Eric shows how ‘used to heavy drinking’ he is, by handling the decanter and swigging the alcohol with ease. Later in the play, it is also revealed that Eric raped Eva Smith and had to take care of her child. He also had to steal money from his father’s business to take care of the baby. If any word of this came out, Eric knew that he would face massive consequences as it was a totally irresponsible thing for Eric to do, as his family’s reputation would be ruined. This is probably another reason why Eric drinks a lot, and he even has the audacity to ask for a drink in front of his parents once the news of his doings have come out. Eric says, ‘I was in a state when a chap easily turns nasty’, showing that he is used to getting drunk. This also tells us that Eric Birling is also a violent alcoholic, as he ‘turns nasty’ and rapes Eva Smith as his mind was under the influence of lots of alcohol. The reader gets a negative impression of Eric, as he/she now knows that Eric is not really as innocent as he seems at the start.
This is sooo good!! Go into detail with 'guffaw' and 'chap'- what kind of terminology it is and what it implies. Let me know if you want an example sentece. Hope this helps!
KeamenJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Samira Miah)
This is sooo good!! Go into detail with 'guffaw' and 'chap'- what kind of terminology it is and what it implies. Let me know if you want an example sentece. Hope this helps!
Oh ok, great! Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (240)
56.87%
I don't have everything I need (182)
43.13%

Watched Threads