sk.03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,I’m making a thread for my friend bc she doesn’t know how to use TSR LOOL. But yeah, she needs to cut down to 5 universities, and her current choices are:
Manchester: ABB
Leeds: AAB-ABB
Birmingham: ABB
Sussex: ABB-BBB
Edinburgh: AAB-ABB
Bristol: AAB

Her predicted are AAB, but she definitely thinks she can get an A* in psychology. Basically the issue is she’s not too sure between choosing Bristol or Edinburgh as a 5th. I personally think she should drop Sussex as it might not necessarily be a safety and apply to both Edinburgh and Bristol bc she likes them both a lot, but just wanted to collate some outside ideas
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sk.03)
Hey guys,I’m making a thread for my friend bc she doesn’t know how to use TSR LOOL. But yeah, she needs to cut down to 5 universities, and her current choices are:
Manchester: ABB
Leeds: AAB-ABB
Birmingham: ABB
Sussex: ABB-BBB
Edinburgh: AAB-ABB
Bristol: AAB

Her predicted are AAB, but she definitely thinks she can get an A* in psychology. Basically the issue is she’s not too sure between choosing Bristol or Edinburgh as a 5th. I personally think she should drop Sussex as it might not necessarily be a safety and apply to both Edinburgh and Bristol bc she likes them both a lot, but just wanted to collate some outside ideas
If she's predicted AAB, then having universities with ABB offers are quite sufficient for a insurance choice. I think, as you do, that she should apply to Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Bristol. Maybe I'm somewhat biased to Bristol as I study here, but nonetheless this is what I think would be best. Best of luck to you both!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Be aware of 'grade ranges' (ABB-BBB) - usually this means the lower grades are for Contextual Offers (lower performing schools, care leavers etc). Unless you are certain you qualify for the lower offer, always assume you'll get the higher grade offer. If you arent sure of what the criteria are for the lower offer - email and ask before you apply.

Being 'convinced you'll get an A*' wont get you an offer - its your predictions that count, and teachers tend to over-predict not under-predict. So - my advice would be to lose one of the higher grade choices. The lower grade choices are far more likely to be flexible if you miss your grades in August than one asking for 2 A grades. And be aware that many Scottish Unis ration offers for English applicants, and make those offers later than for Scots applicants.

Finally - any course that has work-experience or a placement or study abroad is worth more for future employment opportunities than one that doesn't.
sk.03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Be aware of 'grade ranges' (ABB-BBB) - usually this means the lower grades are for Contextual Offers (lower performing schools, care leavers etc). Unless you are certain you qualify for the lower offer, always assume you'll get the higher grade offer. If you arent sure of what the criteria are for the lower offer - email and ask before you apply.

Being 'convinced you'll get an A*' wont get you an offer - its your predictions that count, and teachers tend to over-predict not under-predict. So - my advice would be to lose one of the higher grade choices. The lower grade choices are far more likely to be flexible if you miss your grades in August than one asking for 2 A grades. And be aware that many Scottish Unis ration offers for English applicants, and make those offers later than for Scots applicants.

Finally - any course that has work-experience or a placement or study abroad is worth more for future employment opportunities than one that doesn't.
Thank you, and yeah precisely that’s something I pointed out to her. With Sussex, she’ll most likely get an ABB offer, which she could also get with Edinburgh, so I was thinking for her to just apply to Bristol and Edinburgh. Thanks tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.6%
I don't have everything I need (145)
42.4%

Watched Threads