Kanor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was thinking of getting the Casio CG-50 Graphic Calculator for my GCSE. I know I can just use the Casio Advanced Scientific Calculator FX-991EX but I want to check my answers in the exam for graphs and see if I got it right there and then. Also, it would save me buying the graphical calculator later down my studies. I just wanna make sure if my thinking is logical lol and if they do allow all casio calculators in our exams <3
Chowderzzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed those types of calculators because they kinda defeat the point of your calculations.
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kanor)
So I was thinking of getting the Casio CG-50 Graphic Calculator for my GCSE. I know I can just use the Casio Advanced Scientific Calculator FX-991EX but I want to check my answers in the exam for graphs and see if I got it right there and then. Also, it would save me buying the graphical calculator later down my studies. I just wanna make sure if my thinking is logical lol and if they do allow all casio calculators in our exams <3
You cannot use a graphing calculator at GCSE, due to GCSE exams generally not caring about workings for questions, and thus making it very easy to do a lot of the graphing questions.
Kanor
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
You cannot use a graphing calculator at GCSE, due to GCSE exams generally not caring about workings for questions, and thus making it very easy to do a lot of the graphing questions.
But I heard that they don't award the mark if you just plot the graph and that you have to show some working out eg. a table of x and y values, and that you can still use the calculator to check your answer only
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kanor)
But I heard that they don't award the mark if you just plot the graph and that you have to show some working out eg. a table of x and y values, and that you can still use the calculator to check your answer only
If you had to show working at GCSE, I would've done horribly - I did most of the work in my head, to be perfectly honest. It depends on the exam board, and, to be fair, I did Maths GCSE a long long time ago, but from what I've heard it is still the case that you do get marks for showing working, but you get full marks regardless if you get the right answer.
Kanor
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
(Original post by Chowderzzz)
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed those types of calculators because they kinda defeat the point of your calculations.
Insert this link on your browser and go to page 6: https://info.casio.co.uk/hubfs/CAL/E...aminations.pdf

It says allowed for GCSE..?
Chowderzzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In which case they're probably fine, but maybe email your exams coordinator in your school and see what they say.
Kanor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chowderzzz)
In which case they're probably fine, but maybe email your exams coordinator in your school and see what they s
alright thanks a lot
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kanor)
is that really worth the £150 it costs?
Hellllpppp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
At a-level the cg-50 is amazing and a great investment.

(Original post by Kanor)
I did my gcse exams in 2019 and we were only told we weren’t allowed graphical or more advanced ones in further maths.
Kanor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
well I'm gonna have to buy it at some point so I guess I may as well do it now, also I'm emailing my teachers to make sure first!
Kanor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
At a-level the cg-50 is amazing and a great investment.

I did my gcse exams in 2019 and we were only told we weren’t allowed graphical or more advanced ones in further maths.
I'm emailing my teachers right now to check
billybob234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kanor)
class wiz calculators are good
Kanor
Rep:
?
(Original post by billybob234)
class wiz calculators are good
yeah but I was thinking of something that can check your graph answers then and there too, bit more advanced xd
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.77%
I don't have everything I need (144)
42.23%

Watched Threads