Poll: Was Romeo and Juliet truly a love story?
Yes, what on earth are you on about saying it wasn’t? (2)
33.33%
No, it was just weird, they were stupid. (3)
50%
Other (please specify in replies). (1)
16.67%
WhovianPigeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Was Romeo and Juliet really a love story? Were they both just stupid and desperate? Was it okay to have Romeo, suspected to be at least 17, fall in love with 13 year old Juliet? I’m interested to see what people think. Also, I’ve put a poll, but please go more in-depth in the replies than just a click of a button!
Last edited by WhovianPigeon; 4 months ago
Nialler x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Shakespeare wanted couples to appreciate their love together. People complain how they face problems that ruin their relationships that force them to separate from each other. Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet to explain the worst possible scenario lovers can find themselves in. Romeo and Juliet both are from families that hate each other, they face the fact that Romeo kill Juliet’s cousin, and that they have know each other for no over a week. This is possibly the worst situation that couples can find themselves in, the play tells the reader no matter what, true love will always come through. Anyone can write about a perfect loving couple’s story but writing about the worst takes skill. There is more of a challenge, but this is for a higher purpose. If people saw what could be worst they would appreciate their own relationship. Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet based on parts of real life; he bases his characters on emotions and feelings of people while in love. Benvolio represents calm, order, and peace of mind. Mercutio represents the happy side and joking part of the relationship; he also represents the hate one might feel in love and the problems. This is made by the fact that Mercutio’s Queen Mab speech, which he explains love as vile. Tybalt represents the anger and violence of couples in a relationship, his mood is seen as angry and violent, such as how a relationship might get.
Last edited by Nialler x; 4 months ago
WhovianPigeon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nialler x)
Shakespeare wanted couples to appreciate their love together. People complain how they face problems that ruin their relationships that force them to separate from each other. Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet to explain the worst possible scenario lovers can find themselves in. Romeo and Juliet both are from families that hate each other, they face the fact that Romeo kill Juliet’s cousin, and that they have know each other for no over a week. This is possibly the worst situation that couples can find themselves in, the play tells the reader no matter what, true love will always come through. Anyone can write about a perfect loving couple’s story but writing about the worst takes skill. There is more of a challenge, but this is for a higher purpose. If people saw what could be worst they would appreciate their own relationship. Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet based on parts of real life; he bases his characters on emotions and feelings of people while in love. Benvolio represents calm, order, and peace of mind. Mercutio represents the happy side and joking part of the relationship; he also represents the hate one might feel in love and the problems. This is made by the fact that Mercutio’s Queen Mab speech, which he explains love as vile. Tybalt represents the anger and violence of couples in a relationship, his mood is seen as angry and violent, such as how a relationship might get.
Whoa, that’s an incredible answer! I genuinely hadn’t seen that much in it before, with the Mercutio and Tybalt bits especially. Thanks! I may actually take this POV for my upcoming analysis of the story in English... (I won’t plagiarise or anything, of course, just the idea that they kind of most characters represent different parts of what could go on in a relationship). I also like that you pointed out how Shakespeare is very skilled to write the non-perfect couple, it is one of the things I admire him for that not many people (from what I have read) take into account.
Nialler x
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by WhovianPigeon)
Whoa, that’s an incredible answer! I genuinely hadn’t seen that much in it before, with the Mercutio and Tybalt bits especially. Thanks! I may actually take this POV for my upcoming analysis of the story in English... (I won’t plagiarise or anything, of course, just the idea that they kind of most characters represent different parts of what could go on in a relationship). I also like that you pointed out how Shakespeare is very skilled to write the non-perfect couple, it is one of the things I admire him for that not many people (from what I have read) take into account.
Awww thank you!! OMG I love Shakespeare texts, he's a brilliant writer and I love everything that he's written.
username4813144
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It's an epic love story - but Shakespeare was kind of satirising the fact that young people/teenagers fall 'in love' so quickly and how overdramatised they see their lives because of their raging hormones. Romeo is just getting over Rosaline when he sees Juliet and falls so deeply, but at the same time that infamous fish-tank scene (movie) or even in the play when they first meet is absolute art. They then break every single rule together again because they're impetuous and young and get married in a matter of hours!

Anyway I could talk about it forever but basically I think it's absolutely amazing.
WhovianPigeon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nialler x)
Awww thank you!! OMG I love Shakespeare texts, he's a brilliant writer and I love everything that he's written.
Yes he is an incredible writer, possibly the best in at least English history (there’s others I love of course but he has to be unrivalled). People in my school seem to find him quite boring because it can be quite hard to understand the older English words, but I like the challenge of either just working it out or researching the meaning :-)
Nialler x
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by WhovianPigeon)
Yes he is an incredible writer, possibly the best in at least English history (there’s others I love of course but he has to be unrivalled). People in my school seem to find him quite boring because it can be quite hard to understand the older English words, but I like the challenge of either just working it out or researching the meaning :-)
I 100% agree with you!! It's nice to meet someone who enjoys Shakespeare writing just as much as do :five:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (58)
4.67%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (137)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (177)
14.26%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (54)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (69)
5.56%
Loneliness (108)
8.7%
Financial worries (43)
3.46%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (66)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (111)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (114)
9.19%

Watched Threads