Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Welcome to the 2020-21 A-level Physics Study Group!

This is a thread for all A-level physics student to chat, support each other, give and request advice, discuss questions, moan about the subject, etc etc.

Physics can be a particularly difficult A-level and does require a certain knack to answering the questions.

Here are a load of resources all copied off last year's thread
:)

Other resources
s-cool
physicsnet
dr physics a youtube
khan academy
exam solutions.net (for mechanics)
the physics classroom
astarmathsandphysics
physicshelp
xtreme papers
st ambrose college resources
studywise
the beloved physics and maths tutor
physics tutor online
cowen physics
a-level physics tutor
brainscape (physics flashcards)
gorilla physics youtube
gcse and a-level physics online
science shorts youtube (a-level physics made easy)
NB: Some of these resources are primarily aimed at the old specification (or occasionally not at UK specifications at all!) so not all the content will be relevant, and some will be missing in comparison to the new specification.

Feel free to introduce yourselves and get to know one another a bit!

To start things off, here are some questions you could answer:

What exam board are you taking?
If you're due to take exams this year, what are the arrangements?
What's your favourite topic in the course so far?
And your least favourite topic?
What are you hoping to study at university?

I took my A-levels in 2019, doing AQA Physics. It wasn't easy! It took a while to get good at answering the longer explain-style questions, and it frustrated me quite a bit because I felt like I understood the concepts but just couldn't quite get the marks.

Now I'm currently in my 2nd year of university, studying physics.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 2 months ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Come on there's got to be some of you taking physics
Lolamondayy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Last edited by Lolamondayy; 2 months ago
Lolamondayy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am! Hating it honestly tho lol! I always feel like I understand like you said but always get it wrong in the exams, not sure wether it’s to do with stress or what although I am trying to do more practice questions I still struggle.
I am doing OCR currently, still really struggling although in year 13,
Favourite topics... Honestly none
Least favourite waves and momentum, idk I just can’t get my head around it
Hoping to study architecture in university!
Last edited by Lolamondayy; 2 months ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lolamondayy)
I am! Hating it honestly tho lol! I always feel like I understand like you said but always get it wrong in the exams, not sure wether it’s to do with stress or what although I am trying to do more practice questions I still struggle.
Yeah it takes time to improve, but you've got enough time. Is that OCR A or B?
At least with waves you can rely more on memorising info
Lolamondayy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yeah it takes time to improve, but you've got enough time. Is that OCR A or B?
At least with waves you can rely more on memorising info
OCR A, yeah I’m trying to do that
sponge007
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I am currently taking the AQA course and provided the current 'situation' doesn't change, hopefully should be sitting the exams as normal in June. Favourite topic is a hard question given I don't feel I particularly enjoy any at the moment however I would say the optional topic at the moment as it's the least like anything I've done before (we are doing turning points in physics and have just finished relativity). Least favourite topic either waves or electricity from AS. I'm hoping to study Architecture at university however currently that is reliant on me getting a decent grade in physics which I doubting is likely but alas...How did you improve at the longer explain-style questions? I find I always miss the mark on what they're asking or never quite understand what they want so end up with the wrong information in my answers....Thanks!
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by sponge007)
Hi, I am currently taking the AQA course and provided the current 'situation' doesn't change, hopefully should be sitting the exams as normal in June. Favourite topic is a hard question given I don't feel I particularly enjoy any at the moment however I would say the optional topic at the moment as it's the least like anything I've done before (we are doing turning points in physics and have just finished relativity). Least favourite topic either waves or electricity from AS. I'm hoping to study Architecture at university however currently that is reliant on me getting a decent grade in physics which I doubting is likely but alas...How did you improve at the longer explain-style questions? I find I always miss the mark on what they're asking or never quite understand what they want so end up with the wrong information in my answers....Thanks!
For me it pretty much boiled down to training myself to answer how the mark scheme wanted. Which sucks because the subject really shouldn't be about that, but whatever. I would do a ton of practice questions, and when I marked it, I made a note of what part of my answer contributed to getting marks and which part(s) just consisted of waffle. And be strict with yourself, don't assume it's 'close enough'.

Whereas in GCSE I could just write what I thought seemed right and mostly it ended up getting the marks, so this problem is something that's unique to the A-level I feel.
daylight08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Come on there's got to be some of you taking physics
I do Edexcel International A Level physics! Currently gonna be taking P1 in Jan😭
Ttee322
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sponge007)
Yes electricity was a kicker. Ahh my god I can’t wait to be done
Xaodo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How do u guys self learn new topics?
Ttee322
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zacn01)
Look on your spec to see exactly you need to know. Make notes on these, and any extra that textbook gives info on. Then make active recall questions and use past paper questions to consolidate your knowledge and acc check if there’s anything you don’t know. Hope it helps xoxo
Medicine2004
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lolamondayy)
Same! I am also doing OCR A, and even if you've revised so much for the subject and have done exam questions, I still get questions wrong! I hate waves, because you think you understand it but there are certain exam questions that just do your head in. I'm now revising forces, which isnt too bad but there are so many exceptions on the method for a calculation for an exam question. I am hoping for an A just so that i can study medicine, and physics is the subject that stresses me out the most!
Medicine2004
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Medicine2004)
Same! I am also doing OCR A, and even if you've revised so much for the subject and have done exam questions, I still get questions wrong! I hate waves, because you think you understand it but there are certain exam questions that just do your head in. I'm now revising forces, which isnt too bad but there are so many exceptions on the method for a calculation for an exam question. I am hoping for an A just so that i can study medicine, and physics is the subject that stresses me out the most!
I got 100% in my electricity test using uplearn. Uplearn is rlly a life saver when it comes to physics!
RoseVet
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got 100% in my electricity test using uplearn. Uplearn is rlly a life saver when it comes to physics!
How much does it cost?
Medicine2004
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is around £600 for two years and its sooo worth it. I did quantum physics ahead of time and it made sooo much more sense than my teacher (no offense!). If you don't get an A or A* at a level, you can get a full refund but that has rarely happened because around 98% (if im not mistaken) get A or A*. There are online tutors so you can ask for help. One thing i do reccomend is to do a session on uplearn first and then use your school lesson as a revision class. I would 100% reccomend this to someone
Medicine2004
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zacn01)
I used uplearn
uwuraraka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hiii ! in 12th grade this year and im taking physics cie course for one of my alevels (taking as levels first of course). tbh i dont really want to take physics but my teacher made me to take atleast 1 sciences so here i am. pretty suck at physics as i only got a C5 on my gcse olevels physics (probably because i studied like less than a month before my exam week). currently self studying with the help of my sister since im going back to school next month. dont really have any favourites or least favourites topic atm. and hoping to study criminal law in uni : D also if anyone have any advice for me, write away, im a slow learner so advice and tip is very much appreaciated!
jurik
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi, i'll be taking cie physics and math this oct. im prettyyyyy stressed ouuttttttt. i havent yet decided on my third subject
Last edited by jurik; 2 weeks ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It is around £600 for two years and its sooo worth it. I did quantum physics ahead of time and it made sooo much more sense than my teacher (no offense!). If you don't get an A or A* at a level, you can get a full refund but that has rarely happened because around 98% (if im not mistaken) get A or A*. There are online tutors so you can ask for help. One thing i do reccomend is to do a session on uplearn first and then use your school lesson as a revision class. I would 100% reccomend this to someone
Well, if you're motivated enough to spend £600 on an A-level subject you're probably motivated enough to work for an A or A* anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.1%
No (512)
48.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed