SherlockFan1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm on a level 4 apprenticeship in Software Engineering. I don't need to get a degree to work in the field and I hope to work for my current employer for at least 3 years. However, I want to ultimately relocate to Scotland. I've calculated that about 25% of jobs I aim to have the skills for at the 3-5 year mark, still demand a tech or maths degree. As I am a mature student who already has an unrelated degree, an online degree is really the only way to do it.

I've discounted the OU BSc for cost at over £18000. This leaves the University of London online computer science BSc- 6 years and £11000. A top-up degree at Derby or Portsmouth online over 2 years for about £5500 (if my apprenticeship is accepted as equal to a foundation degree) or the 2 year Bath MSc conversion course at £12000 (which would need considerable prep-work to get my maths up.

For content, the full BSc would be best but I'd end up about 8 years into the profession before I get it- well after I need it. Then I feel next would be the Bath conversion course but I'm worried it won't be taken that seriously compared to a BSc, then the top up degrees. They would help me through the recruitment filtering process but I don't feel I'd get as much out of them as the Bath course as you skip the first couple of years.

Does anyone with more experience of hr and software engineering have an opinion of what might work out best?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SherlockFan1)
I'm on a level 4 apprenticeship in Software Engineering. I don't need to get a degree to work in the field and I hope to work for my current employer for at least 3 years. However, I want to ultimately relocate to Scotland. I've calculated that about 25% of jobs I aim to have the skills for at the 3-5 year mark, still demand a tech or maths degree. As I am a mature student who already has an unrelated degree, an online degree is really the only way to do it.

I've discounted the OU BSc for cost at over £18000. This leaves the University of London online computer science BSc- 6 years and £11000. A top-up degree at Derby or Portsmouth online over 2 years for about £5500 (if my apprenticeship is accepted as equal to a foundation degree) or the 2 year Bath MSc conversion course at £12000 (which would need considerable prep-work to get my maths up.

For content, the full BSc would be best but I'd end up about 8 years into the profession before I get it- well after I need it. Then I feel next would be the Bath conversion course but I'm worried it won't be taken that seriously compared to a BSc, then the top up degrees. They would help me through the recruitment filtering process but I don't feel I'd get as much out of them as the Bath course as you skip the first couple of years.

Does anyone with more experience of hr and software engineering have an opinion of what might work out best?
Are you relocating to Scotland anytime soon?

And also certain part time second degrees can still be funded through student finance.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
SherlockFan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Are you relocating to Scotland anytime soon?

And also certain part time second degrees can still be funded through student finance.
I was planning to relocate in about 3 years or maybe 4 tops. Enough time for my apprenticeship and a 2 year degree of some variety.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Online BSc is a new thing and no one knows how convincing they will be. I assume you have a lot of experience with SE then doing a conversion master at tier 2 uni probably worth less than an OCP Java certificate.

I think you should try to go for MSc advanced computing or MSc software engineering
SherlockFan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndyChow)
Online BSc is a new thing and no one knows how convincing they will be. I assume you have a lot of experience with SE then doing a conversion master at tier 2 uni probably worth less than an OCP Java certificate.

I think you should try to go for MSc advanced computing or MSc software engineering
I wouldn't get in to an advanced masters as I'll lack the basic theoretical Computer Science knowledge and maths. That's why I want to do either a BSc or conversion masters in the first place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads