I had epilepsy, AMA

Watch
MrSandyWilly
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is my second time making this thread, but I think its important that people understand and appreciate epilepsy (and it gives me something to do )

But here's my story:

After having a seizure at a friends house when I was about 8 or 9 - no that was not fun - I was diagnosed with a condition called benign childhood epilepsy. Its a type of epilepsy which affects children with varying severity and in slightly different ways - my seizures mostly affected my face and only ever occurred while I was just falling asleep or waking up. It usually disappears with the onset of puberty.

I'm 14 now, and its my 15th birthday in a couple of weeks, and I haven't had a seizure for about 5 years so I'm assuming my EEG is all normal now and I no longer have epilepsy!

AMA!
billybob234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MrSandyWilly)
This is my second time making this thread, but I think its important that people understand and appreciate epilepsy (and it gives me something to do )

But here's my story:

After having a seizure at a friends house when I was about 8 or 9 - no that was not fun - I was diagnosed with a condition called benign childhood epilepsy. Its a type of epilepsy which affects children with varying severity and in slightly different ways - my seizures mostly affected my face and only ever occurred while I was just falling asleep or waking up. It usually disappears with the onset of puberty.

I'm 14 now, and its my 15th birthday in a couple of weeks, and I haven't had a seizure for about 5 years so I'm assuming my EEG is all normal now and I no longer have epilepsy!

AMA!
nice
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MrSandyWilly)
...I'm 14 now, and its my 15th birthday in a couple of weeks, and I haven't had a seizure for about 5 years so I'm assuming my EEG is all normal now and I no longer have epilepsy!

AMA!
Congratulations. No questions but I wish you'd never have a seizure ever again in your life
MrSandyWilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Congratulations. No questions but I wish you'd never have a seizure ever again in your life
Hopefully I won't
If I don't I will probably still be able to fulfil my dream of becoming a pilot
MrSandyWilly
Rep:
?
That's great! Were yours conscious or unconscious?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to hear that :console: my nan lost her son (my uncle) to epilepsy and reguarly donated to epilepsy charities after that. I would like to hope there have been big progressions in epilepsy care and medicines since then
What are the things you find people have the biggest misconceptions about?
MrSandyWilly
Rep:
?
That's lucky. Mine were conscious ones - less dangerous but also more unpleasant lol
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Sorry to hear that :console: my nan lost her son (my uncle) to epilepsy and reguarly donated to epilepsy charities after that. I would like to hope there have been big progressions in epilepsy care and medicines since then
What are the things you find people have the biggest misconceptions about?
I mean I don't think there are misconceptions as such. Nobody can really understand what its like to have a seizure until you have one.

Maybe that they could happen at any time? For some people thats the case, but for me for example mine only ever happened in the morning/evening when I was waking up/falling asleep
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Me too

Been dormant a long time now but I still need to be careful with strobe lights.
MrSandyWilly
Rep:
?
My biggest thing was slurred speech post-seizure for a few minutes
Masked Marauder
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations. What was the worst thing about having it?
MrSandyWilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vardhan95)
Congratulations. What was the worst thing about having it?
Not knowing
Seizures are pretty unpleasant but the worst thing is not knowing when they will happen and then the shock when they do happen
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not to pop your bubble bro
But saying such positive stuff just temps fate
I have it too and have gone 7 years I still have it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads