zarahh09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Diffusion occurs through the phospholipid bilayer. Explain what type of substance will be able to move into/out of cells this way.
ItsMeAbdul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Small uncharged polar molecules, such as H2O, also can diffuse through membranes, but larger uncharged polar molecules, such as glucose, cannot. Charged molecules, such as ions, are unable to diffuse through a phospholipid bilayer regardless of size; even H+ ions cannot cross a lipid bilayer by free diffusion.

Hope that helps
Hellllpppp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ItsMeAbdul)
Small uncharged polar molecules, such as H2O, also can diffuse through membranes, but larger uncharged polar molecules, such as glucose, cannot. Charged molecules, such as ions, are unable to diffuse through a phospholipid bilayer regardless of size; even H+ ions cannot cross a lipid bilayer by free diffusion.

Hope that helps
I thought it was small and/or non-polar molecules. Isn’t ‘uncharged polar’ a contradiction.
Last edited by Hellllpppp; 1 month ago
ItsMeAbdul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
I thought it was small and/or non-polar molecules. Isn’t ‘uncharged polar’ a contradiction.
Uncharged polar basically means non-polar
U are on the right path
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hope that helps
I would like to add that simple (aka free) diffusion occurs for lipid soluble, small uncharged molecules e.g CO2 and 02.
Facilitated diffusion involved carrier proteins where specific substances bind to specific carrier proteins which change shape in a way that transports substance across the mem. this is for large, polar molecules and ions.

(Original post by Hellllpppp)
I thought it was small and non-polar molecules. Isn’t ‘uncharged polar’ a contradiction.
Yeah.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Uncharged polar basically means non-polar
U are on the right path
I think for A-level (at least for AQA) you need to say non-polar not uncharged polar. I’ve done a quick google search and I now understand what you mean by uncharged polar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads