Will I be hated if I become a detective :( ?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Its my dream job but I hate how we will be referred to as police officers. There is a massive stigma attached to being an officer which is really sad considering the officers in the UK are not as abusive as those in the USA. Some are actually very nice and kind people just doing their job to protect others. However I fully understand hatred of police officers if one has been through injustice by officers or anything similar. I would hate officers too. Sometimes I cant help but feel weird about officers as I remember their rude attitude when pulling my mum over when I was younger. But most are nice. Being a detective will be the investigation side of serious crime and so a bit different. I don't care if someone smokes this or that, I would too if I were allowed in my faith . I am afraid Id be viewed as a snitch for taking on this career. From first impressions what comes to your mind when hearing detective and also hearing police officer, are they different?, is a detective less of a stigma to it? I feel very anxious
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's there to be 'very anxious' about?

Yes, some police are bad and some are good but that's really down to the person not the uniform, you shouldn't avoid a career because a minority of people have yet to grasp that fact.
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'd better find that out or you won't make a very good one. :holmes:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Its my dream job but I hate how we will be referred to as police officers. There is a massive stigma attached to being an officer which is really sad considering the officers in the UK are not as abusive as those in the USA. Some are actually very nice and kind people just doing their job to protect others. However I fully understand hatred of police officers if one has been through injustice by officers or anything similar. I would hate officers too. Sometimes I cant help but feel weird about officers as I remember their rude attitude when pulling my mum over when I was younger. But most are nice. Being a detective will be the investigation side of serious crime and so a bit different. I don't care if someone smokes this or that, I would too if I were allowed in my faith . I am afraid Id be viewed as a snitch for taking on this career. From first impressions what comes to your mind when hearing detective and also hearing police officer, are they different?, is a detective less of a stigma to it? I feel very anxious
The thing is in theory everyone thinks that detective are so cool and like sherlock holmes or whatever but then in real life they look down on them
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Columbo is my favourite TV character in the entire world. Yes I know he is not real, but if he were I would deffo want to be married to such a man!

He is often harrassed for doing his job, but that doesn't put him off - just makes him more suspicious.

You can be polite and have high standards, and have human warmth and a sense of humour like him.

My Uncle was a police officer. It made him a very stable husband. He saw such dreadful sights whilst out on the beat that he did not want to have any drama at home. Consequently this made him very easy going husband and didn't give my aunt a moment's worry. They were together for 61 years, until he died two years ago.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads