How do you structure your email when admitting your mistakes to the universities you'

Watch
cat1234!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I'm structuring an email to inform the universities I've applied to about the mistake I've made on my ucas application. But I genuinely don't know how to word myself, I don't want to sound to rude but I don't want to appear as if I don't care about my application at all. English is not my first language, that's why I am really worried about the way I've worded the email.

Do you mind giving me some good suggestions?

Here is the email:

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing this email to let you know that when submitting my university application I neglected to include the fact that I am currently doing an EPQ and expect to get an A/A* by the end of the year. I have also included my full name and personal ID in the email.

Thank you. Apologies about any inconvenience caused.

Best wishes,
XXX
Student Roost - Bath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Cat1234,

If you applied through UCAS, you may be able to contact the universities through there. If not, UCAS or your personal tutor may have some advice about what to do. I believe that some universities use anonymous applications (I could be wrong about this - it's been a while since I looked at UCAS) so emailing may not be the best first reponse.

You could always try emailing their admissions team and ask if it's possible to amend your application - this might come across as "more human" than just info-dumping

In regards to your email, maybe cut-out the "thank you" and include the course you are applying for, and maybe use "kind regards" instead of "best wishes" (that's a more personal ending). Otherwise, it looks very formal and well-structured

Congratulations on your predicted A/A*
-Lizzy.
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student Roost - Bath)
Hi Cat1234,

If you applied through UCAS, you may be able to contact the universities through there. If not, UCAS or your personal tutor may have some advice about what to do. I believe that some universities use anonymous applications (I could be wrong about this - it's been a while since I looked at UCAS) so emailing may not be the best first reponse.

You could always try emailing their admissions team and ask if it's possible to amend your application - this might come across as "more human" than just info-dumping

In regards to your email, maybe cut-out the "thank you" and include the course you are applying for, and maybe use "kind regards" instead of "best wishes" (that's a more personal ending). Otherwise, it looks very formal and well-structured

Congratulations on your predicted A/A*
-Lizzy.
Hi Lizzy,

Thank you so much. Yes I did call UCAS and they asked me to fill out a form and also told me that I should email all the universities individually. Thank you for the advice given on the email though
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cat1234!)
Hi Lizzy,

Thank you so much. Yes I did call UCAS and they asked me to fill out a form and also told me that I should email all the universities individually. Thank you for the advice given on the email though
Have you filled in the form? Don’t email your universities until you have confirmation from ucas that the error has been corrected.

Did your college check your qualifications as part of providing your reference (most do) if so then get THEM to email your universities because they should have picked up the mistake (and any predictions should come from them).

Make sure they/you include your ucas ID, name and dob in the email and ideally the course applied to at that university.
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have you filled in the form? Don’t email your universities until you have confirmation from ucas that the error has been corrected.

Did your college check your qualifications as part of providing your reference (most do) if so then get THEM to email your universities because they should have picked up the mistake (and any predictions should come from them).

Make sure they/you include your ucas ID, name and dob in the email and ideally the course applied to at that university.
Oh, I see. Ucas said that it's gonna take them up to ten weeks to change the error, that's why I need to send emails to them now so that they are aware. You are right , my referee did check my application but he told me to email the university myself?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh, I see. Ucas said that it's gonna take them up to ten weeks to change the error, that's why I need to send emails to them now so that they are aware. You are right , my referee did check my application but he told me to email the university myself?
Unis will want the referee to provide the predicted grade. You can email them to make them aware of the error, but they will not take a predicted grade seriously coming from you.

You need to ask your referee to email and explain why.
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Unis will want the referee to provide the predicted grade. You can email them to make them aware of the error, but they will not take a predicted grade seriously coming from you.

You need to ask your referee to email and explain why.
Okay, then shall I say in the email something like "if you require further information, please contact my referee."
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, then shall I say in the email something like "if you require further information, please contact my referee."
You could do, yes, but the uni will probably prefer it if you make life as easy as possible for them, by getting your referee to email.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (40)
27.21%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
41.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (22)
14.97%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.72%

Watched Threads