The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Law with English law at University of Aberdeen

Anyone who attended this course? How many lectures are there per week? Is it possible to choose more English law subjects than Scots law ones? Also are there extra any curricular activities related to law (e.g mock trial)?
When you do Law with English Law you will be taught both the Scots and English law, you will do the standard prescribed Scots law course with additional English elements taught in separate lectures alongside. I believe there is no say in this matter, when you pick this particular course you are given all the available English Law elements by default. Where this might differ is in your 3rd and 4th year when you take on honours courses although certain areas of law are the same as each other.

I would say the workload is manageable, your second year is when your English courses tend to kick in and this almost doubles your workload. The English courses give you less credits but you're expected to do the same amount of work as you would do for your standard full credit course.

The university has a lot of law based extra curricular activities, I was part of the Aberdeen Law Project which aims to close the gap in the access to justice within the city and wider area, it's a great thing to be involved in and can give you hands on experience in dealing with clients and even going to court in select circumstances. We also have your more typical focused areas such as the commercial law society and so on. We also have a mooting society, so much trials as you stated, I have not taken part in this before but I can see how this would be a useful thing to do especially as a module you will do in a class in your later years will require you advocate for a client. That being said the mooting society seem to constantly lose to RGU, the universities rivals, so read in to that as much as you like.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Frenchrose
Anyone who attended this course? How many lectures are there per week? Is it possible to choose more English law subjects than Scots law ones? Also are there extra any curricular activities related to law (e.g mock trial)?

I’ve applied for this course, have you heard back from them?
Reply 3
Have got a place for the accelerated English Law with Scots Law, looks a good course but slightly worried about moving to Aberdeen from Edinburgh. Would be interested to hear other student opinions.
Reply 4
Original post by Dua Abbas 1214
I’ve applied for this course, have you heard back from them?

Hey,
No Aberdeen is the only uni which has not offered me a place yet, still waiting. What about you?
Reply 5
Original post by Frenchrose
Hey,
No Aberdeen is the only uni which has not offered me a place yet, still waiting. What about you?

Yeah it took the longest to reply to me too so think that usual with them. But I did apply very late only in February so expected a late reply
Reply 6
Original post by awd98
Yeah it took the longest to reply to me too so think that usual with them. But I did apply very late only in February so expected a late reply

I applied in December so for me it was unexpected really 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending