Which sixth form does A level Japanese??

Watch
Monsur x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My sister is in year 11 and is really interested in going Japanese along with computer science A level and Maths a level

But it’s sooo hardd finding a sixth form that’s close to us offering all these subjects

And we want her to go to a high achieving sixth form, not something like Westminster Kingsway which is like a BTEC sixth form in a way If you know what I mean

Preferably somewhere north London or north west London or anywhere in London, just tell me the name and I’ll check the location

Help pleaseee
TheStressMachime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Monsur x)
My sister is in year 11 and is really interested in going Japanese along with computer science A level and Maths a level

But it’s sooo hardd finding a sixth form that’s close to us offering all these subjects

And we want her to go to a high achieving sixth form, not something like Westminster Kingsway which is like a BTEC sixth form in a way If you know what I mean

Preferably somewhere north London or north west London or anywhere in London, just tell me the name and I’ll check the location

Help pleaseee
Well it really depends on what your sister wants to do at university. You choose A levels normally based on what your university’s course wants you to study.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine A-level Japanese is quite uncommon, and would probably be mainly found in private schools who have the funding to get staff to teach less common languages. I would note that one doesn't require A-level Japanese to study Japanese at degree level (or as part of another degree programme), and there are other ways than A-level to develop language ability for the purposes of later spending time in a country speaking the target language (and in fact A-levels may not even be the best option for that purpose).

Thus it may be necessary or even if not, preferable, to pursue Japanese language learning as an extracurricular activity rather than as a curricular A-level subject. Quick-use might be able to recommend some resources for learning Japanese (in whatever format)
Gazino
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Help pleaseee
I completely agree with artful. This might come across as quite harsh but I would tell your sister to reconsider her choice of Japanese as an A Level.
It's a rare subject and for good reason. There are so many ways you can learn a language. Spending 2 years (aka 1/9 of your life by then) and ending up speaking at a level of an 8 year old Japanese child is...

She's choosing computer science and Maths for her other 2 A levels, I can assume she may be quite gifted in that area. Honestly, she will be much better off choosing something like Physics for her career prospects and university choices. If she truly wishes to, she can study a degree relating to her other two A levels - that she's comfortable in, and use it to work abroad in Japan. That's ultimately a win win in my opinion.
Last edited by Gazino; 1 month ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gazino)
I completely agree with artful. This might come across as quite harsh but I would tell your sister to reconsider her choice of Japanese as an A Level.
It's a rare subject and for good reason. There are so many ways you can learn a language. Spending 2 years and ending up speaking at a level of a 8 year old Japanese child is...

She's choosing computer science and Maths for her other 2 A levels, I can assume she may be quite gifted in that area. Honestly, she will be much better off choosing something like Physics for her career prospects and university choices. If she truly wishes to, she can study a degree relating to her other two A levels - that she's comfortable in, and use it to work abroad in Japan. That's ultimately a win win in my opinion.
I agree
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStressMachime)
Well it really depends on what your sister wants to do at university. You choose A levels normally based on what your university’s course wants you to study.
I actually don’t know what she is planning to do at uni... probably computer science??
She’s interested in game design and creating games, coding etc

I haven’t acc asked her that tho so thanks for that!
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I imagine A-level Japanese is quite uncommon, and would probably be mainly found in private schools who have the funding to get staff to teach less common languages. I would note that one doesn't require A-level Japanese to study Japanese at degree level (or as part of another degree programme), and there are other ways than A-level to develop language ability for the purposes of later spending time in a country speaking the target language (and in fact A-levels may not even be the best option for that purpose).

Thus it may be necessary or even if not, preferable, to pursue Japanese language learning as an extracurricular activity rather than as a curricular A-level subject. Quick-use might be able to recommend some resources for learning Japanese (in whatever format)
Thank you so so much! I’ll definitely be telling my sister this, you are actually right
Monsur x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gazino)
It's a rare subject and for good reason. There are so many ways you can learn a language. Spending 2 years (aka 1/9 of your life by then) and ending up speaking at a level of an 8 year old Japanese child is...

Hello! Thank you so much for your reply! You are so right and a language in A level IS HARD let alone Japanese which aid a completely different alpha rlly and everything u know? It would be much better doing it on the side and studying or by yourself as an extra curricular

For a long time now she’s been saying she wants to do maths at a level and to be honest she has always been very good at maths and quick with mental maths even from year 6 and 7.
She really likes coding and is showing interest in doing computer science
Basically so right now they have to start choosing a sixth form and the one in her school does offer these two subjects but not Japanese So she was thinking of another option (although she was acc very keen on doing Japanese even if it meant going somewhere else but based on wat other ppl are saying....) she chose physics and said that can be a possibility.
However she doesn’t know god BLODDY HARD that will be for her and telling us her options we were so unsure about physics because my sis is already doing maths and computer science which are hard and physics on top. She doesn’t really show that much interest or is even any good in physics at gcse to be honest so...
That’s why she said Japanese
We still have to think of a third option then...
TheStressMachime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually don’t know what she is planning to do at uni... probably computer science??
She’s interested in game design and creating games, coding etc

I haven’t acc asked her that tho so thanks for that!
Yeah no problem. It’s best to have a some what clear path on what you want to do rather than picking subjects that don’t go well with each other. Computer science (the ones I know) took Maths, Further Maths, physics and Computer science. Further maths is optional if you’re not planning for imperial or Oxbridge. It’s just helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (32)
23.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (60)
44.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
14.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.94%

Watched Threads