Tech peeps could you tell me if this laptop is any good?

Watch
manifesting
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://ao.com/p/reviews/r424faek813...grey-80138-251

thanks
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For at less than £250 you could get a Dell E7470 off ebay.

The Dell has a faster CPU, more RAM, a larger SSD hard drive, longer battery life (with the FHD 1920 screen option), a better chassis and lid that's made from magnesium alloy, a better keyboard, a better version of Windows (Pro vs S), has better prospects for getting spares over the years to come (the Dell E7470 was a big seller).

The Dell is the laptop equivalent of a 3 year old BMW 330D. That Asus Vivobook is the equivalent of a brand new Dacia Sandero.
2003a39
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's fine but you can get something similar for under £200 refurbished. rectech.co.uk is a great site, bought two laptops from them, both in excellent condition.
manifesting
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2003a39)
It's fine but you can get something similar for under £200 refurbished. rectech.co.uk is a great site, bought two laptops from them, both in excellent condition.
it would be a present so would prefer brand new, do u know of any new ones tat are good for max £350-380?
2003a39
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by manifesting)
it would be a present so would prefer brand new, do u know of any new ones tat are good for max £350-380?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9206197 - This one is decent, there are other options with more storage but will be noisier due to mechanical HDD's.
Last edited by 2003a39; 1 month ago
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What, so whoever is buying you this present can't buy off ebay???

Or off someone like rectech?

Tell the person that you want a premium business laptop and don't mind one that's 3 or 4 years old.
Tell them to get you a Dell Latitude E7470 or a HP 840 G3 (with a minimum of 1920 screen resolution).
Tell them to spend less than £250 on the present.

If all you will be doing is running Office, web browsing, email, watching videos, video conferencing, then there is no better brand new laptop for under £1000 than a Dell E7470 or a HP 840 G3.
manifesting
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
What, so whoever is buying you this present can't buy off ebay???

Or off someone like rectech?

Tell the person that you want a premium business laptop and don't mind one that's 3 or 4 years old.
Tell them to get you a Dell Latitude E7470 or a HP 840 G3 (with a minimum of 1920 screen resolution).
Tell them to spend less than £250 on the present.

If all you will be doing is running Office, web browsing, email, watching videos, video conferencing, then there is no better brand new laptop for under £1000 than a Dell E7470 or a HP 840 G3.
its not for me, im getting it for them which is why brand new is better.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That measly 4GB of RAM has already put me off whatever this thing is. The minimum in 2020 should be 8GB.
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its not for me, im getting it for them which is why brand new is better.
If you were buying them a car, would they be happier with a 3 year old BMW 330D, or a brand new Dacia Sandero?

The same thing applies to laptops for the majority of users. The differences between a 3 year old premium business laptop and a brand new budget consumer grade laptop are significantly in favour of the premium busines laptop.

Spending about £200 on a used premium business grade laptop is an extremely generous present. Anyone unhappy that such a present isn't brand new would just be being stupid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (251)
57.44%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.56%

Watched Threads