How much harder is a Maths and Computer Science degree compared to just maths

Watch
liamt4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been planning on doing a maths and computer science joint degree for a while now, however I have seen people saying joint degrees are a lot harder. While I don't want to be lazy and not do my desired course because it might be hard, I don't want to put myself under unnecessary stress and work load if I could just do a pure maths degree (which would probably provide similar opportunities after uni).I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science at A Level and I'm predicted three A*s, so I feel like I have the ability to do a joint degree, but if it really is that much harder I'm not sure if it is worth it.Any opinions or advice would be great.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by liamt4)
I have been planning on doing a maths and computer science joint degree for a while now, however I have seen people saying joint degrees are a lot harder. While I don't want to be lazy and not do my desired course because it might be hard, I don't want to put myself under unnecessary stress and work load if I could just do a pure maths degree (which would probably provide similar opportunities after uni).I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science at A Level and I'm predicted three A*s, so I feel like I have the ability to do a joint degree, but if it really is that much harder I'm not sure if it is worth it.Any opinions or advice would be great.
Sometimes they are easier - my friend did Maths and Philosophy and only did a third of the Maths modules of a full degree and half the Philosophy modules so it was simpler.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the course as above. Some joint maths + x courses here are two thirds maths and two thirds x so you end up doing more than if you did the straight degrees, others have more of a 50:50 split. If your course is especially flexible you can engineer your choices so the workload is not too heavy.

Doing a maths degree doesnt mean you have to abandon the idea of doing CS. Your uni might let you do CS modules on the side or offer very CS-y modules.
qweqworiet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did math and computer science and found it very slow moving and boring. Not sure if that is the uni or the course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (205)
57.58%
I don't have everything I need (151)
42.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed