Is further maths a level really difficult?

Watch
alfie0761254
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've heard from my teachers and from online research that further maths is really hard. Some year 12s and 13s have told me that they achieved grades 8-9 in GCSE but are achieving E and D's in A-Level.
For some context, I'm predicted and on track to get a 9 in maths GCSE (not to brag). Do you think I should give it a go?
EMBaguette
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by alfie0761254)
I've heard from my teachers and from online research that further maths is really hard. Some year 12s and 13s have told me that they achieved grades 8-9 in GCSE but are achieving E and D's in A-Level.
For some context, I'm predicted and on track to get a 9 in maths GCSE (not to brag). Do you think I should give it a go?
From what my friends say its a lot like computing GCSE with lots of algorithms
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you enjoy maths, and pushing yourself to understand, you'll be fine. If you want a subject that you can get through by memorising, you won't enjoy it or do well.
MinnieW09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I found it hard but if you want Physics, engineering, maths etc at uni its either a must or really helpful.

If you're really good at maths and enjoy it youll be fine though.

Have a think about what you might like to do at uni and that should help you narrow down your a level options.
TM3141
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Im currently studying further maths, and i would say it's not too difficult. some bits are harder than others, but once you put some work in to understand a concept, its quite straight forward. if you enjoy maths and want to put the effort it, its worth i, but it depends what option modules you do
Gazino
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My thoughts and experiences on the maths courses are this:
GCSE maths is doable for everyone. I remember a teacher telling me that you only really need around 40% raw for a pass mark (C).
GCSE Further maths is basically the first half of Maths A level but with less difficulty.
A Level maths is just pretty standard. I'd say most people will be able to do well with enough work and past papers done.
A Level Further Maths is pretty hard for the majority of people. Ignore what EmBaguette said because it's nothing like "GCSE computing algorithms and stuff". But if you feel like you can do really do well at GCSE and like to take a challenge, then further maths is a great choice. Keep in mind that nothing in school is made to be "impossible".
SnyxIV_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I currently do further maths and achieved an 8 at GCSE (1mark off a 9) and I would say it is definitely hard but manageable if you keep up with the content and make sure you understand the topics. When choosing my a-levels I was in the same situation as you (I almost did not pick it) , However in hindsight I am very content with my decision of picking it and would say it’s probably my favourite A-level. If you really enjoy maths and want an enjoyable challenge I would say go for it since you are confident with achieving a grade 9 at GCSE. The fact that I achieved an 8 and now am predicted an A* in further maths shows that if you work hard you should also be able to achieve a top grade if you pick it.

CrumpledCupcake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hiya, I Do FuRtHeR MaThs, my college does A-Level Maths in the first year and Further in the second year. I think it depends, a lot of people I know were able to get by at GCSE without having that good of an in-depth understanding of maths and problem solving, but were just generally clever people, and weren't necessarily mathematical. I'd say normal A Level is still the case but less so. A lot of people in my class performed extremely well at GCSE, but have found further maths extremely challenging, only do it if you are extremely passionate and interested with maths or want to study it at university, otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
abdullah123535
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As a current y13 F Maths student, it is the students that genuinely enjoy a challenge that tend to thrive at F maths. A lot of people dropped out of my set towards the start as they wrongly assumed it would be like their GCSE experience of maths, where you just sponge methods with minimal understanding. IF you believe you have the drive to struggle and bounce, F maths will be an amazing, enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (161)
44.48%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.99%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed