The Student Room Group

AQA French Writing Easier than I thought?

So I'm in year 11 now and I'm doing AQA GCSE French. Now my French teacher is really lovely but does have a strange way of teaching: all she does is set us exercises from the textbook for homework and we spend our entire lessons marking those exercises. She never writes any methods or stuff down, we only have a book for exercises. She does however make us write essays every few weeks. So for the essays, she told us that writing 90/150 words were never going to get you the top grades and you had to write 3 sides minimum for each question and involve every type of language structure you can. She also only gives you a 9 if you have 95% (Exam board puts 9s roughly around 80%) so my predicted grades are rubbish. The other week the another french teacher was covering our lesson and she did some stuff on exam technique. She showed us an exam board exemplar and it was only 2 words above the limit and the language was rather simple. My class were like whattttt? So I looked more into the marking scheme and you don't even have to write in every tense for the 150 marker and or the 90 marker you only have to give an opinion not justify it. The thing is this this seems so easy? Does anyone else find them really easy or have I got the wrong end of the stick???
Original post by MiriamL
So I'm in year 11 now and I'm doing AQA GCSE French. Now my French teacher is really lovely but does have a strange way of teaching: all she does is set us exercises from the textbook for homework and we spend our entire lessons marking those exercises. She never writes any methods or stuff down, we only have a book for exercises. She does however make us write essays every few weeks. So for the essays, she told us that writing 90/150 words were never going to get you the top grades and you had to write 3 sides minimum for each question and involve every type of language structure you can. She also only gives you a 9 if you have 95% (Exam board puts 9s roughly around 80%) so my predicted grades are rubbish. The other week the another french teacher was covering our lesson and she did some stuff on exam technique. She showed us an exam board exemplar and it was only 2 words above the limit and the language was rather simple. My class were like whattttt? So I looked more into the marking scheme and you don't even have to write in every tense for the 150 marker and or the 90 marker you only have to give an opinion not justify it. The thing is this this seems so easy? Does anyone else find them really easy or have I got the wrong end of the stick???

As i do two languages (French & Spanish) I've learnt a lot of different ways of approaching these questions. Ur teacher is definitely waffling. Atimes u can go over the approx of 90/150 words but 3 sides is excessive. At most u should do 1 side for a 16 marker and 1 and a half for a 32. In terms of tenses just 3 for 16 marker and 4/5 for a 32 marker. I find it difficult to score consistently high on them but my teacher says that for 16 at this stage 12 is a good mark and for 32 marker 20 is a good score. Try to use high level structures but don't over do it because often it just ends up not making any sense I'd say focus on agreements and at least getting in the future tense (Infinitive + endings ai,as,a,ons.ez,ont) present tense and perfect tense (conjugation of avoir/etre + past participle). For 32 if u can attempt subjunctive (I would normally say something like 'il me semble que ce soit' - It seems to me that or 'quel dommage qu'on ne puisse pas - what a shame that we can't) or imperfect (present we minus 'ons' and endings ais,ais,ait,ions,iez,aient).

Also try languagesonline I find that it's good preparation especially for a writing exam

Quick Reply

Latest