Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, looking into getting a laptop but not really sure what i need for it? Im also a novice when it comes to computers and computing terms and such like.

What sort of features does yours have/ you want it to have?

Im getting it for university, so really just need something to browse the internet, get on msn/email, play footy manager and play music... oh aye, and studying.

How much ROM/RAM/memory do i need/want?

Graphics card? Will this be necessary for a laptop that i dont really need to play games more intense than footy manager?

CD/DVD reader/writer? I think i will want these :yep: (maybe not a writer though??)

Battery life - What is a good life for a laptop?

Other suggestions?

Also, what size? Weight and screen, obviously it would be helpful for it to be as light as possible and have a decent sized screen, but what is decent/light?

Thanks for any help. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i dont know about graphics card to play football manager but, check their minimum requirements and then try looking for a laptop that has a gpu that is around 2x better than its minimum requirments... 2gb ram is more than enough for a vista-32bit laptop, CD/DVD writer is you preference... Battery life, unfortunately most laptops wont let you get on with it for more than 2hrs without battery (depending on your consumption) but this is answered by articles if you just search on google.

15" screen size is good for mobility, and as well as convenience, the smaller your screen, the lesser ergonomic it is... especially if you're grinding on essays.
    but id say look for a laptop that you like, check any ratings... and then come and ask... you need to state your budget as well.

preferrably
    15"
    around 2ghz dual core2(or similar architecture)
    2gb ram
    GPU depends on the games you play

what about a dell insprion? check the dell website for more info.

ReputationRep:
    You won't need a graphics card at all for a football manager game, so long as you get a reasonable processor and amount of ram. Wouldn't get a screen smaller than 15, otherwise your keyboard's going to be too small to use properly.

Battery life, it's never going to be great to be honest.

And as for the drive. The most basic wll be a DVD writer in everything now, and it doesn't soud like you'll need a blu-ray drive. So just avoid the macbook air.

ReputationRep:
    Battery life - You want a couple of hours
    No need for any fancy graphics card for FM
    Ram would depend on how much you want to store... more ram equals more space.
    The better the processor, the better the performance... try to aim above Celeron and get a dual core if you can... if working with Intel, that is.

You could get something decent for around 400-450

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancsmithsfan)
    If you don't want to save your files permanently, saving in RAM is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, this has all been helpful.

Ive checked my PC and realised ive used 19GB out of 229GB, so that should give me a ruff indication of how big i need.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh, i take it they will all have ethernet ports/wifi so that i can easily hook up to the internet?

Should i go for vista? or maybe save a little and stay with XP(what i am used to)?

mucho gracias

ReputationRep:
    Vista tends to be volatile and problem ridden, but most new Laptops will come with Vista, and if you want a decent op system; Home Premium is best... you would only have to switch back to XP, which may not be worth the effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlybob)
    You won't need a graphics card at all for a football manager game, so long as you get a reasonable processor and amount of ram. Wouldn't get a screen smaller than 15, otherwise your keyboard's going to be too small to use properly.
    without a graphics card the screen wouldn't be connected to anything:p:
    there are some cheap Asus laptops on ebuyer, also look at eurpc.co.uk for some dells

ReputationRep:
    Battery life - You want a couple of hours
    No need for any fancy graphics card for FM
    The better the processor, the better the performance... try to aim above Celeron and get a dual core if you can... if working with Intel, that is.

You could get something decent for around 400-450
    You are for FM09.

ReputationRep:
    I would look to get this for going to uni: Fujitsu Siemens V5545.
    Good, cheap, all-round laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdyourcolour)
    You are for FM09.

What, a high-grade GPU or dedicated graphics... C'mon, surely not!

I know, however, that this FM 09 will be PC DVD only, so bad luck for those without a DVD reader in their 'puter! (Really primitive and applying to very few people, I know)

ReputationRep:
    What, high-grade shared or dedicated graphics... C'mon, surely not!
    If it's integrated things will be tough.

Don't get me wrong, it's by no means guaranteed, but taking into account the fact it's now 3D and the amount of processing going on under-the-hood as it is, things will get sluggish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdyourcolour)
    If it's integrated things will be tough.

How do you know, what's your source... I mean, I am curious as mine is only a standard integrated jobbie and I am a bit worried now!

ReputationRep:
    How do you know, what's your source... I mean, I am curious as mine is only a standard integrated jobbie and I am a bit worried now!
    You merely have to look at other products on the market and make comparisons.
    Take Fifa Manager for example.

Yet another edit:
    Mind, you could keep it in 2D.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my Vista laptop for a year, without any problems. *touch wood* It's a 15.4 inch, and it's not very light, so it's a bit of a pain to lug about, but anything smaller than 15" would probably be too small and irritate me. If you go with Vista, you want 2gb ram, though it might be best to go for 2gb either way. Three hours of battery life is good, I take my charger with me anyway so it doesn't really matter to me, don't even know how much battery life mine has anyway, think it's about two hours. Cost me £500 just over a year ago, probably get a bit more for that price now.

ReputationRep:
    Vista tends to be volatile and problem ridden, but most new Laptops will come with Vista, and if you want a decent op system; Home Premium is best... you would only have to switch back to XP, which may not be worth the effort.
    That comment might have been valid 2 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    That comment might have been valid 2 years ago...
    Maybe we're just in some sort of alternative reality where Vista has been frozen and RAM makes for a good permanent storage medium.

These:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.