The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
wll yes i have crossed carrick-a-rede rope bridge-with my brother trying to shake it at the same time. wasnt at ice breaker thing, went to bed early!-was there with SPS ppl and next day wore green heels and green cord jacket. prob doesnt help!!! really really chuffed bout going to gonville and caius.
Reply 41
ponjavic
still find it weird that the chinese girl didn't get in, allthough she had some language problems...
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=908

To be honest, I don't think it was her language problems. When reading her interview reports it would appear that she does not have a good grasp of "medical enthusiasm" and that instead she just wants to be a doctor. She hasn't thought of what it really involves nor does she knows details about basic medicine. Her chemistry knowledge is poor (she even states that she hates it - well medicine is chemistry!!! along with biology of course!) so that probably contributed to her rejection. In my opinion although her BMAT scores are impressive, she doesn't sound committed to medicine. She even says at the end:
" I got an offer from Imperial, but I applied for physics"

Although many medics apply for 4medicine courses and 2 others, these other 2 are usually biology/chemistry related! To me she sounds inconstitent with her opinions on what it is she wants to do and why!
Hoofbeat
To be honest, I don't think it was her language problems.

quote from website:
"A-level (or equivalent) subjects:
Maths, Further Maths, Physcis, Chemistry, Biology, History(AS), Chinese"

maybe language wasn't a problem, but it'd help if she could spell physics right...

as for her interview... even from her perspective it sounded like she did a crap job of it. as a medic who also applied to girton in 2004 (and coincidentally also chinese) i was asked a lot of similar questions to hers. having thought i made a mess of some of them, compared to hers, they were really insignificant. most/all her answers were irrelevant to the questions, and no answer demonstrated qualities in medical students cambridge (and all medical colleges) were looking for. admittedly her a levels were impressive and no doubt she'd have work very hard should she have got in, but i doubt she would have made a brilliant doctor (that really sounds quite harsh but its my opinion).
Reply 43
fair enough :P

Latest

Trending

Trending