The Student Room Group

Business university choice

Which university should I be looking at as an aspiring entrepreneur, my main options are Durham and Exeter, does anyone suggest anywhere else or are these good choices? Thanks.
You technically don't need a degree to be an entrepreneur. Even as a business owner, you don't need to do a business degree. The only time when I consider it being helpful is if you need it for a business related work role to get experience in a specific sector you intend to set up a business in.

What do you intend to do with the degree? What do you specifically intend to do afterwards? Have you done A Level Business Studies?
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
You technically don't need a degree to be an entrepreneur. Even as a business owner, you don't need to do a business degree. The only time when I consider it being helpful is if you need it for a business related work role to get experience in a specific sector you intend to set up a business in.

What do you intend to do with the degree? What do you specifically intend to do afterwards? Have you done A Level Business Studies?

Business management with a placement year is the degree, and I'm currently doing A level business at college. I think I just want to learn as much as possible before owning a business and networking as much as I can
Original post by Joebarham16
Business management with a placement year is the degree, and I'm currently doing A level business at college. I think I just want to learn as much as possible before owning a business and networking as much as I can

Sounds like a plan I suppose. If you intend to work in the industry you want to set up your business, the degree and placement will help. The experience you gain from the job might give you more insight into the business world than if you started from nothing, albiet you don't necessarily need a job to do that (it's just easier).

Experience can certainly reduce the business risks you will face as a business owner. Networking will also be vital, irrespective of the industry you go into.

I'd recommend finding a business mentor who can show you the ropes, ideally in the same industry you are looking to set up business (but not in the same line of business unless the mentor has retired, etc.). You also might want to solidify some of the skills you will need after leaving uni and your job e.g. marketing, accounting, legal knowledge, IT.
Original post by Joebarham16
Which university should I be looking at as an aspiring entrepreneur, my main options are Durham and Exeter, does anyone suggest anywhere else or are these good choices? Thanks.

Hi! I have applied to do business management too this year :smile: I applied to Leeds, York, Loughborough, Sussex, and Reading. I think you picked great choices.
Original post by abbbbbb.
Hi! I have applied to do business management too this year :smile: I applied to Leeds, York, Loughborough, Sussex, and Reading. I think you picked great choices.

Hi @abbbbbb. - great to see Loughborough in your list of choices! Good luck with your applications :smile:

Vicky
Original post by abbbbbb.

Hey @abbbbbb.,

It's great to hear that you have applied to Reading University.
Both Delia and James study Business management at Reading University. You can speak to them here:

Delia: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5d07afdbb5e1f7005af096ca?buddyPosition=share

James: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5ea7092a86a98005a7443b77?buddyPosition=share

Hope this is useful and if you have any questions feel free to let us know!
From,

Amina 😊
Reply 7
Original post by MindMax2000
Sounds like a plan I suppose. If you intend to work in the industry you want to set up your business, the degree and placement will help. The experience you gain from the job might give you more insight into the business world than if you started from nothing, albiet you don't necessarily need a job to do that (it's just easier).

Experience can certainly reduce the business risks you will face as a business owner. Networking will also be vital, irrespective of the industry you go into.

I'd recommend finding a business mentor who can show you the ropes, ideally in the same industry you are looking to set up business (but not in the same line of business unless the mentor has retired, etc.). You also might want to solidify some of the skills you will need after leaving uni and your job e.g. marketing, accounting, legal knowledge, IT.

Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending