The Student Room Group

Home Office - Single Competent Authority Decision-maker

Has anyone applied to these roles? I did the video interview Thursday... not sure how I went.

Scroll to see replies

Hi yes, I did my interview on Friday. Totally messed up, ran out of time on the delivering at pace question (ironic 🙈) and therefore didn’t address all of the sub questions. This is the second launch pad interview I’ve had and it doesn’t suit me at all. Hope you do better, good luck!
Reply 2
Did the interview on Tuesday, really struggled to know how I did without any form of feedback! (Nods, smiles etc)Do you guys have any idea of the turn around time/start dates?
Hi I have my first interview with the Home office, could somebody advise on what kind of questions will get asked? Also on job spec it states that behaviours and strengths will be assessed.I’m dreading it!!
Reply 4
Original post by 7402010
Did the interview on Tuesday, really struggled to know how I did without any form of feedback! (Nods, smiles etc)Do you guys have any idea of the turn around time/start dates?

I would assume a start date would be a few months down the road.... preemployment checks and security clearance will take a few weeks or months if you are successful plus during Christmas period there is usually very few staff in the office.
Reply 5
Original post by Blossominpink
Hi I have my first interview with the Home office, could somebody advise on what kind of questions will get asked? Also on job spec it states that behaviours and strengths will be assessed.I’m dreading it!!

The behaviours will be based on the behaviours outlined in the ad so for Making Effective Decisions it could literally be tell us a time when you had to make a decision based on complex information and detail steps you took to make this decision.

The strengths could be anything from the list of strengths (there is a very large list) that the interviewer chooses. It could be for instance do you prefer to work alone or as a team. They will ask a question or two that they will tell you is not scored but it is used as a baseline to see if you are giving genuine answers for your strengths questions. the baseline could be describe your favorite book.... if you are very animated with baseline question they will want to see you animated in the other strengths questions.

Hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by blauteufel
I would assume a start date would be a few months down the road.... preemployment checks and security clearance will take a few weeks or months if you are successful plus during Christmas period there is usually very few staff in the offSorr

I meant more a response time, as in when we would hear back from them. Guess it's just a waiting game.
Reply 7
Original post by blauteufel
The behaviours will be based on the behaviours outlined in the ad so for Making Effective Decisions it could literally be tell us a time when you had to make a decision based on complex information and detail steps you took to make this decision.

The strengths could be anything from the list of strengths (there is a very large list) that the interviewer chooses. It could be for instance do you prefer to work alone or as a team. They will ask a question or two that they will tell you is not scored but it is used as a baseline to see if you are giving genuine answers for your strengths questions. the baseline could be describe your favorite book.... if you are very animated with baseline question they will want to see you animated in the other strengths questions.

Hope this helps.

I would say get a good understanding of the behaviors you will be questioned on, and reference them in your answers to show awareness of them. There will be alot of "Give me an example of when you" with direct reference to the behaviors in question, so I would be prepared for that also.
Thank you so much everybody, I was so over whelmed that I made it to the interview stage after many application rejections with civil service.

Anyhow I will let you know how I get on in a few weeks time...
Does anyone know someone who currently performs this role? I was just wondering whether whether the job is worthwhile and desirable. I had my interview last week, too. Received an e-mail yesterday to say interviews will be assessed and decisions will be issued by end of the month.
Reply 10
Original post by Ahmad1075
Does anyone know someone who currently performs this role? I was just wondering whether whether the job is worthwhile and desirable. I had my interview last week, too. Received an e-mail yesterday to say interviews will be assessed and decisions will be issued by end of the month.

I don't know anyone that does this role already, but I have generally heard decent things about Home Office jobs and also I primarily applied as it is mostly homeworking which really appeals to me.
I ran out of time just by a few seconds on the making effective decisions questions. No idea how it went. I am hoping they are lenient given the current climate!!
Also which branch did people select as their preferred location ?
Reply 13
Original post by Deavk006
Also which branch did people select as their preferred location ?

I would have to move as I don't live 70 minutes travel time to one of the 6 offices, but I put down Leeds, Newcastle and Glasgow.
Yeah Birmingham I selected as it is about one hour from me in Stoke-on-Trent
What are the working conditions for Home Office?
I mean if you do part time, what are the minimum hours? Also how flexible are they? Shift work?

One more
When do you tell them that you want to work part time?

Sorry for to many questions in one breath but my interview is coming up with the Home office..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ahmad1075

Yep, i know someone in it. It is a worthwhile job. Decision making on cases of modern slavery. As a decision making role, it's a good job.

What are the working conditions for Home Office?
I mean if you do part time, what are the minimum hours? Also how flexible are they? Shift work?

One more
When do you tell them that you want to work part time?

Sorry for to many questions in one breath but my interview is coming up with the Home office..

You can discuss whatever part time hours you need when you start. I'd say inform them once you get a provisional offer. You will likely have to discuss it again with whoever becomes your direct line manager, but best to note it whenever you can.

If you ask at interview, you'll be told that they have flexible working anyway. No shift work. No idea what the minimum hours you can work on part time are though, but they are accommodating. It's a slightly newer-ish department, so there's still an element of flexibility (managers aren't likely to be very set in their militant ways, so to speak).
(edited 3 years ago)
Anyone had any feedback?
Reply 18
Original post by Deavk006
Anyone had any feedback?

No not yet, have you? They said end of December
Hi I had an interview for this too a few weeks back, how did everyone’s interview go? Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest