Uni halls rent strike! Will uni fine us or worse?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So students in my uni are planning a rent strike since it worked at Manchester uni. I’m just wondering what will help if students refuse to pay their rent, will the uni fine us? I’m just more worried about it affecting my actual studies like I get kicked off my course which I definitely would not want
something_orphic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So students in my uni are planning a rent strike since it worked at Manchester uni. I’m just wondering what will help if students refuse to pay their rent, will the uni fine us? I’m just more worried about it affecting my actual studies like I get kicked off my course which I definitely would not want
I believe legally they can evict you, take you to court and you can lose your loan. Not sure if that has ever happened for an actual proper strike though. I would say think about whether it is worth it especially if it is not a big strike. I think i would see how many people are ACTUALLY gonna do it and weigh it up.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
I believe legally they can evict you, take you to court and you can lose your loan.
An accommodation provider could sue you for not paying. This would be a contractual matter. The terms of your licence would determine whether they could evict you.

I can't see how a dispute with your accommodation provider would result in your loan (presumably you mean the maintenance loan) being lost -- even if the accommodation provider is your university.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The university would be within their rights to evict you, and take you to court for all outstanding rent arrears. You did sign a contract with them after all.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Students are planning it all over the place

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6809516
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.75%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
29.02%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed