Tashax2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Medicine

No
Medicine is a Mickey Mouse ? I thought MM degree was a useless degree?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tashax2)
Medicine is a Mickey Mouse ? I thought MM degree was a useless degree?
Meh, it's not that useful
something_orphic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also is business and marketing one?
Mickey Mouse degrees are degrees that are 'useless' so degrees with no proper or good job prospects at the end. E.g: Media is considered one. I think some may business but it depends what you combine it with (i would recommend combing as business by itself is vague). Marketing is perhaps not the most desired one to combine with but if thats what you are interested in go for it. You are still going to get a job at the end it is employable if that is what you are worried about.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
degrees in Disney
Tashax2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
Mickey Mouse degrees are degrees that are 'useless' so degrees with no proper or good job prospects at the end. E.g: Media is considered one. I think some may business but it depends what you combine it with (i would recommend combing as business by itself is vague). Marketing is perhaps not the most desired one to combine with but if thats what you are interested in go for it. You are still going to get a job at the end it is employable if that is what you are worried about.
Yeah I’ve got a fairly specific career in mind after it and the career prospects are really good,, is politics a MM degree?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'General interest' degrees that have no weight or applicability in the working world.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I’ve got a fairly specific career in mind after it and the career prospects are really good,, is politics a MM degree?
No it is not aha. It is pretty employable. Lots go into the civil service, government related jobs, analyst sorta jobs, HR, marketing. It is pretty versatile.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://jobs.disneycareers.com/disney-college-program
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Viking studies

There needs to be a chicken nuggets degree ffs and the selection process should include a test to see how many chicken nuggets you can eat in 5 mins and if it’s over 3074 then you get in
normanis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s no such thing, it’s just used to bash humanities and social science degrees.
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gender studies, viking studies etc. Such degrees aren't considered mickey mouse because of the importance of the content, mainly because its useless to pay £9.25k a Yr to study them, when you can do it yourself. Unis love them because it costs them peanuts to teach, which means a lot of profit.

No such thing as a mickey mouse degree if youre studying for the enjoyment of it. But paying £9.25k per Yr is daylight robbery for these courses.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 1 month ago
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by normanis)
There’s no such thing, it’s just used to bash humanities and social science degrees.
I feel like it is a bit mean labelling them Mickey mouse degrees but some degrees really dont have a lot of career prospects other than teaching or poorly paid work so people do need to know what they are getting themselves into. Geography and other humanities/social sciences are still respected.
Nuttyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
I feel like it is a bit mean labelling them Mickey mouse degrees but some degrees really dont have a lot of career prospects other than teaching or poorly paid work so people do need to know what they are getting themselves into. Geography and other humanities/social sciences are still respected.

This idea that one must study only because it leads to a career is dangerous to academia in general. Of course, if you must go to uni because you want to enter a specific field (dentistry, med etc) then you have to go through the course, but studying for the enjoyment of it is still valid. But paying £9.25k for it is the uni basically abusing your interest in the subject to make a financial gain.
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a term that insecure people use.
Last edited by YaliaV123; 1 month ago
FingersXedAgain
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a term to describe degrees that do not have much real world application and thus career prospects. If you have to explain what you plan to do with your degree all the time then it’s maybe one.

I used to think that learning should be for its own sake but having been underemployed and broke for a long time, I would say career prospects matter a lot more than you think.
Destinexx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you looking to get into politics? then do law or even science.
User135792468
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mickey Mouse degrees are irrelevant degrees people do that do not directly link to an occupation or the mere existence of the degree itself is pointless as the skills can be acquired somewhere else.

Although I know a lot of people will disagree, I think there’s no point doing degrees in drama, art, music, business - because the skills you will acquire from these type of degrees can be easily achieved by training in a company and working for them, you don’t need to do a 3 year degree to learn how to act when you can work for a theatre company and gain tonnes of experience.

Just a thought. Save yourself thousands of pounds and endless student debt from both tuition and maintenance and do a degree apprenticeship or something if a degree is absolutely essential.

I’m doing a degree apprenticeship with a pharma company, I study part time for an Applied Bioscience degree at Kent (delivered online) and work as a scientist in the UK’s largest medicine company. Best choice I ever made, it’s not for people who haven’t decided what they want to do, I knew what I wanted to do so I picked it
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User135792468)
Mickey Mouse degrees are irrelevant degrees people do that do not directly link to an occupation or the mere existence of the degree itself is pointless as the skills can be acquired somewhere else.

Although I know a lot of people will disagree, I think there’s no point doing degrees in drama, art, music, business - because the skills you will acquire from these type of degrees can be easily achieved by training in a company and working for them, you don’t need to do a 3 year degree to learn how to act when you can work for a theatre company and gain tonnes of experience.

Just a thought. Save yourself thousands of pounds and endless student debt from both tuition and maintenance and do a degree apprenticeship or something if a degree is absolutely essential.

I’m doing a degree apprenticeship with a pharma company, I study part time for an Applied Bioscience degree at Kent (delivered online) and work as a scientist in the UK’s largest medicine company. Best choice I ever made, it’s not for people who haven’t decided what they want to do, I knew what I wanted to do so I picked it
Have you watched TV recently? Seen a film lately? Played a video game? Read a book? A magazine? Used the internet and visited literally any website in existence? Listened to any music? Turned on the radio?

Then you've been enjoying the fruits of the labour of actors, artists, graphic designers, writers, musicians, and all other manner of creative arts industry workers. An industry which contributes £13 million pounds to the UK's economy every hour.

And I'll think you would find, had you even a shred of creative ability to even have the tiniest inkling of exploring the sector yourself, that just waltzing up to some hollywood media production, multimillion pound game developer, international magazine, etc, without any relevant qualifications or experience outside of "I think I'm good at this" will get you laughed out of the door very quickly. They expect people applying for those jobs to have mastered the necessary technical skills at the absolute minimum before they apply to the job, and will also expect to see that they've put these to use in a variety of projects to form a portfolio, demo reel, etc, that demonstrates their abilities to apply these technical skills in a creative way fitting a variety of different contexts and client briefs.

Just because you lack the imagination to do something that isn't an entirely prescriptive and predictable career trajectory doesn't mean other people shouldn't or can't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads