Student finance stopped

Watch
X.X.Xxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Suspended my 2nd year due to severe depression on Monday and so my student finance stopped Monday. I have 8 months of over £500 to pay at my uni accomodation on the other side of the country. I feel so unwell I am barely keeping myself alive. Cant claim universal credit to help with the accomodation as im still registered as a full time student during my interruption year. The doctor has signed me off from study and work. Even if I wanted to work in my current state I couldn't concentrate right now honestly which is the whole reason I'm off, to get treatment and rest not to work a full time job to pay rent on the other side of the country for a room im legally not allowed to travel to. I've message my letting agent about the possibility of advertising my room. Any fast minimum effort money making ideas???
User135792468
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s impossible to make more than over £500 a month doing odd jobs here and there for money.

Your only realistic option is to try convince the landlord that you want an early termination of your contract
X.X.Xxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by User135792468)
It’s impossible to make more than over £500 a month doing odd jobs here and there for money.

Your only realistic option is to try convince the landlord that you want an early termination of your contract
Have you got any advice on how to do that?
User135792468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by X.X.Xxx)
Is the accommodation private or linked to the uni? If it’s linked to the uni then surely they’d do an early termination of contract
X.X.Xxx
Rep:
?
Is the accommodation private or linked to the uni? If it’s linked to the uni then surely they’d do an early termination of contract
Its private unfortunately. A shared student house.
User135792468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its private unfortunately. A shared student house.
Talk with your housemates, they may have friends who want to move in. You can get them to move in and then you can leave
X.X.Xxx
Rep:
?
Talk with your housemates, they may have friends who want to move in. You can get them to move in and then you can
Problem is that that their courses are online all year so most of my housemates went home before lockdown and want a rent reduction (not to pay for bills they arent using) because they arent in the property but they still have their student finance. I dont think anyone would want to move in as uni isn't in person and its in a tier 3 zone (Uni of Manchester). The only thing I was thinking is that my landlord actually broke the contract early on and issued a formal apology for giving strangers the keys and access to my flat while I was inside with no notice at all. Apparently breach of contract is a valid reason for me to ask to terminate it. Should I bring this up?
Last edited by X.X.Xxx; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is just anecdotal, but i've found most private landlords initially annoyed but quite reasonable when faced with the ultimate prospect of no rent as there isn't much point holding a tenant to a contract if they literally don't have the funds, It would often be in their interests to get you out ASAP and get earning again

"Cant claim universal credit to help with the accommodation as i'm still registered as a full time student during my interruption year" << really? I'd look into that as a lot of this advice is mixed. As far as i'm concerned it's up to ME if i'm a full time student or worker, I took 2 leave of absences in a row and both times claimed UC immediately on the grounds i was seeking and available for work. But if i'd accepted the first advice i was given 'students can't do that' I'd have got nothing.
X.X.Xxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
This is just anecdotal, but i've found most private landlords initially annoyed but quite reasonable when faced with the ultimate prospect of no rent as there isn't much point holding a tenant to a contract if they literally don't have the funds, It would often be in their interests to get you out ASAP and get earning again

"Cant claim universal credit to help with the accommodation as i'm still registered as a full time student during my interruption year" << really? I'd look into that as a lot of this advice is mixed. As far as i'm concerned it's up to ME if i'm a full time student or worker, I took 2 leave of absences in a row and both times claimed UC immediately on the grounds i was seeking and available for work. But if i'd accepted the first advice i was given 'students can't do that' I'd have got nothing.
Really? So you just suspended a year of your course and were still registered as a student but were able to claim universal credit? For some reason it says everywhere online that I would not qualify as I suspended my course and didn't drop out. Did you just apply online?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Really? So you just suspended a year of your course and were still registered as a student but were able to claim universal credit? For some reason it says everywhere online that I would not qualify as I suspended my course and didn't drop out. Did you just apply online?
I suspect the difference might be between suspension and leave of absence, in the latter there is more uncertainty as to whether you will come back, so it felt quite reasonable to consider myself a jobseeker....right up until the day of enrolment when i 'changed my mind'.

Having a think, a big difference i have is that I progressed through the vocational system, so rather than A levels/access course and degree years 1-4, I went City & Guilds, HNC, HND, BSc ect. I only spend 1 year on each level so I don't count as being part of a continuous qualification which things easier, I believe normal degree students are still considered students over the summer and such :/
User135792468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Problem is that that their courses are online all year so most of my housemates went home before lockdown and want a rent reduction (not to pay for bills they arent using) because they arent in the property but they still have their student finance. I dont think anyone would want to move in as uni isn't in person and its in a tier 3 zone (Uni of Manchester). The only thing I was thinking is that my landlord actually broke the contract early on and issued a formal apology for giving strangers the keys and access to my flat while I was inside with no notice at all. Apparently breach of contract is a valid reason for me to ask to terminate it. Should I bring this up?
If it’s online the entire year surely the other students would want to move out, but the issue is the private landlord knows if you all leave it will be difficult to find new renters so he won’t let you go.
X.X.Xxx
Rep:
?
If it’s online the entire year surely the other students would want to move out, but the issue is the private landlord knows if you all leave it will be difficult to find new renters so he won’t let you go.
One wants to stay because they are an international student. The others have student finance so its not as big of an issue. True, the only thing I can think of is that the landlord has breached our legal contract before and apparently that can be used as a reason to leave. I've mentioned it today but we haven't even got a reply about a message we sent 31 days ago about the fact that we are paying for bills we arent using up because 1/4 of us are in the property. Paying for 12 months of bills for 4 people but i have only lived there 3 weeks and one person 1 week, dosent make any sense because we arent there to use heating, water etc. They ignore our messages and just reply when its convenient e.g when they are showing tenants round for the next academic year.
Last edited by X.X.Xxx; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (247)
57.31%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed