nelsea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Any vet nurses who could share their experience through vet school? Also, if you don't mind would you like to go and become a Doctor in veterinary medicine or ...? Do you enjoy it , is it worth the time dedicated?
Advertisement
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not a vet nurse (vet student here) but just to clarify a few things

Veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine/surgery are entirely different careers. You don't become a nurse to go on to become a veterinary surgeon - most vet nurses wouldn't want to be vets if you asked them and vice versa.

Vet nurses can either do a diploma through college - which is earned whilst working within veterinary practice as an 'auxiliary nurse or as a student nurse' or they can do a university degree. This is a BSc and 3 years long - though some courses are 4 years and include research projects, year in industry etc.

To become a veterinary surgeon your only options are through universities offering the course - this is a 5 year degree and depending on the university all have different names but it is a BVSc.

Whilst some vet schools will let someone with a veterinary nursing degree do postgraduate veterinary medicine this is not the usual career path and if you want to be a vet I would strongly urge applying as an undergraduate. You won't receive a tuition loan for your second degree so this would be 5 x £9250 paid up at the start of each year.
nelsea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
I'm not a vet nurse (vet student here) but just to clarify a few things

Veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine/surgery are entirely different careers. You don't become a nurse to go on to become a veterinary surgeon - most vet nurses wouldn't want to be vets if you asked them and vice versa.

Vet nurses can either do a diploma through college - which is earned whilst working within veterinary practice as an 'auxiliary nurse or as a student nurse' or they can do a university degree. This is a BSc and 3 years long - though some courses are 4 years and include research projects, year in industry etc.

To become a veterinary surgeon your only options are through universities offering the course - this is a 5 year degree and depending on the university all have different names but it is a BVSc.

Whilst some vet schools will let someone with a veterinary nursing degree do postgraduate veterinary medicine this is not the usual career path and if you want to be a vet I would strongly urge applying as an undergraduate. You won't receive a tuition loan for your second degree so this would be 5 x £9250 paid up at the start of each year.
First of all, thank you so much for always being the one to answer my endless concerns, and this one, in particular, has really helped. I'm pretty certain I will study sports science now but will probably return as a mateur student and apply for an undergrad. !
Last edited by nelsea; 1 month ago
Advertisement
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nelsea)
First of all, thank you so much for always being the one to answer my endless concerns, and this one, in particular, has really helped. I'm pretty certain I will study sports science now but will probably return as a mateur student and apply for an undergrad. Once again thank you so much, it means so much to me that you're helping so many people out here✨❤️!
Just check the postgrad requirements for veterinary - typically they require a bioveterinary, biological science or zoology type degree - ensure they will accept sports science otherwise you won't be successful in your application should you decide it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads