mahxe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm an undergraduate maths student on an integrated masters course. I'm really interested in the pure side of maths and it seems a shame to give it up next year when I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface. Therefore I'm really interested in doing a Phd, however, I am aware that pure maths is virtually useless as a career skill and I'm worried that undertaking this Phd will irreversably damage my career.
It's a huge amount of money lost in missed earnings and a huge amount of time lost in potential work experience.
Will a Phd help me get a better job afterwards? Or would I still be in the same boat as regular graduates? Should I do a Phd?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mahxe)
I'm an undergraduate maths student on an integrated masters course. I'm really interested in the pure side of maths and it seems a shame to give it up next year when I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface. Therefore I'm really interested in doing a Phd, however, I am aware that pure maths is virtually useless as a career skill and I'm worried that undertaking this Phd will irreversably damage my career.
It's a huge amount of money lost in missed earnings and a huge amount of time lost in potential work experience.
Will a Phd help me get a better job afterwards? Or would I still be in the same boat as regular graduates? Should I do a Phd?
You think about whether a PhD will actually help you to get the career you want, or whether you are happy to research pure Maths for the love of it. I would recommend you get some work experience in various positions before committing to the idea of a PhD, as it's a huge time and financial commitment if it doesn't end up helping you at all.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mahxe)
These are a lot of the mental arguments I wrestled with when looking at a PhD a couple years ago (I’m now doing an engineering PhD).

ultimately I decided to do the PhD as I really wanted to explore the project, & I was enjoying life at university. Upon weighing up the options I knew I couldn’t guarantee the same opportunities later but thought it was more probably than not that some job opportunities in finance, IP, consulting and in industry would still be there should I pursue them post PhD and I thought a PhD would be unlikely to do any harm to my CV but may open new doors.

you certainly do take a financial hit to do a PhD up front but you need to make a personal decision if the loss for 4 years will be a big enough issue for you long term
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't do it unless you know you want to stay in academia. I know a few guys coming up to the end of their Phds and they're struggling to get interviews for industry jobs.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In terms of better employment opportunities: No (high likelihood) and Yes (if you work in something big like DeepMind).
You pay tuition fee while missing out 4 years of employment, that would be £150k worth of investment for a highly uncertain return. Most likely you will still be competing for £30k financial analyst roles with undergrads...Only do it if your family is relatively wealthy and you are not concerned about money
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (253)
57.11%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.89%

Watched Threads